• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin allegedly cancelling Military vehicle titles.

DanMartin

Excellent...thanks for fighting for your (our) rights on this issue Paul! You are my hero.

As you move into the next phase of this (introducing legislation to accurately interpret the statues around exempt vehicles) please be careful with your wording and make sure that you are not causing undue harm to the next group of vehicles down the line. I'm never a fan of "more legislation" for this reason...it almost always means less freedom for someone.

undysworld

PINZGAUERS ARE LEGAL IN WISCONSIN, AGAIN!!

Effective yesterday, Sept. 23, 2008, WisDOT/DMV will again issue titles and registrations for Steyr Puch Pinzgauers!

It's been a long year, and a hard fight.

To all of you who offered suggestions, encouragement, or sympathy, THANK YOU!!

Importantly, a NHTSA letter of interpretation was introduced (by the DOT!) which pretty clearly details the fact that ex-military vehicles are intended to be licensed for on-road operation. Here is a link, especially the last 3 sentences of paragraph 2:

http://isearch.nhtsa.gov/gm/94/nht94-1.78.html

Recently, WisDOT has been refusing to issue title/license for any ex-military vehicles, pending the outcome of "the Pinzgauer case".

So for any of you guys who may still be having troubles registering your ex-military 'whatevers', your troubles should be over with, for now.

However, WisDOT has formal rulemaking introduced, which, if passed, will again make ex-military vehicles illegal in Wisconsin. Trans 123 is already introduced, and must be abolished.

We must seek legislation which will guarantee that WisDOT recognizes the federal exemption from FMVSS requirements for pre-'68 vehicles, ex-military vehicles, and over-25-yr. old imported vehicles.

I will provide copies of any documents (or links to find them) to anyone who needs them. Please feel free to contact me directly.

undy@mhtc.net
(608) 437-3465
Paul Underwood

Reactions: JB

kcimb

Michael said:
WisDOT attorney Paul Nilsen will file objections to the ruling, but doubts it will be overturned. He says the agency will likely restore the titles of Pinzgauer owners and issue apologies. Then it may ask state legislators to change the law, lest the state be unable to prevent "tanks on our roads."
"Tanks on the roads", what has this guy been smoking?
Must drive a Prius.

Lol, I am a retard and didn't read the last page. Good to go gents!

undysworld

A quick update:

Since my court victory, most Wisconsin Pinzgauers have been registered.

However, there are 2 new purchasers of Pinzgauers here in Wisconsin who have not been able to title/register their trucks.

WisDOT is requiring an Entry Summary, the Bill of Lading, a Letter of Release from the US DOT/NHTSA, and a Letter of Release from the US EPA before they will accept these guys' VALID TITLES from other states (ID and AZ)!!

Never mind the fact that our Constitution requires each state to recognize the public records, etc. of the other states!

Do YOU have letters from DOT/NHTSA? Of course not. Yet your trucks do not meet NHTSA safety standards either, in all likelyhood.

Wisconsin DOT is dead-set on outlawing ex-military vehicles, and they're doing everything they can to set the precedent. As I've said before, once they set a precedent, it's as good as law (Schoolways v. DMV '75).

Hey Wisconsin HMV owners!! Call/Write your Senators and Representatives and the DOT and tell them that this harrassment of Pinzgauers is being done unfairly and without statutory authority. WisDOT must be made to stop targeting ex-military vehicles.

I won one battle, but thie war is still on.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks