• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin DOT bill proposal

qbubba51

Wis Dot

Funny thing is I didn't buy the first truck I saw. I looked at several going over each truck. I will never drive an unsafe truck and for the governement to assume I will is just plain stupid. For the collectors groups to go along with this or even suggset these idea's bothers me. I bought my truck for me, to use when I want to how I want to. Last time I check this was still America and the 4 years I spent in the service stood for something.

So today I went out and retitled my truck. Now I have a 2.5 ton pickup.

Now I can use my fully functional and Insured truck when and how I want to.

Hows that hope and change working for you.

undysworld

Qbubba51,
Glad to hear that you've gotten your truck on the road. But I couldn't agree with you more. The recent proposal doesn't allow adequate use of the vehicles. Please see the more recent post "A BETTER WisDOT Proposal" for another suggestion.
Paul Underwood

stumps

Hi,
The safety issue brought up is a huge piece of shiite. Brakes work or they don't work. If they don't, the person behind the wheel is at fault, not the truck. Plenty of pre war cars/trucks drive around with very antiquated brake systems etc. and they are not banned or proposed to be.
Trucks in the greater than 1 ton class didn't start having dual circuit brake systems until the early 1970's. The M35A2's have all of the DOT safety features of any truck made before about 1972.

This bill needs to be tabled. If it passes, every state in the union will be at risk due to the precedent it sets.

You should settle for nothing less than the same status as any vehicle that was made on the date when the military vehicle was designed.

-Chuck

Michael

i already caused enough of a stir in kansas witht he ferret. i should keep my comments down i guess

The bill draft is the result of lots and lots of meetings with the legislature (both parties) MV collectors, the DOT, Attorneys, The MVPA board of Directors, and consultation with people in other states like Kansas and Ohio who have been thru the process and already have similar laws in place to protect the hobby.
Perhaps a summery of how that turned out for you is in order. Can you drive your ferret on the road? Is it as restricted as this bill is? They did mention that you were consulted.

If I lived in WI and nothing was done I would have to park half of my HMVs. If it did pass I would all but have to park them all except the one I drive in the Christmas parade once a year.

stumps

Perhaps a summery of how that turned out for you is in order. Can you drive your ferret on the road? Is it as restricted as this bill is? They did mention that you were consulted.

If I lived in WI and nothing was done I would have to park half of my HMVs. If it did pass I would all but have to park them all except the one I drive in the Christmas parade once a year.
If they turn a vehicle of yours into something that cannot be used in the manner you are currently able to use it, they have taken value from you. States are legally required to compensate you when they take property from you. Make them understand that you and all of your fellow WI MV'rs will force them to adequately compensate you for every MV taken. Something like $40,000 per vehicle should make them take notice.

-Chuck

undysworld

Chuck,

Better to just stop this bill, and get a better one drafted. Please check the thread about a Better WisDOT proposal. Sen. Jon Erpenbach has drafted a much better proposal which would allow ALL historic military vehicles to be registered as "collector" vehicles, no matter the age of the vehicle or which military previously owned the vehicle. It also exempts such vehicles from a payload restriction, so we can actually use the trucks to haul stuff, IN ADDITION to driving to car shows, parades, grocery stores, etc.

DO NOT settle for reduced operating privileges, as is being talked about here.

I'll try and get this better proposal linked today. Sorry for the delay.

Paul U

stumps

Chuck,

Better to just stop this bill, and get a better one drafted. Please check the thread about a Better WisDOT proposal. Sen. Jon Erpenbach has drafted a much better proposal which would allow ALL historic military vehicles to be registered as "collector" vehicles, no matter the age of the vehicle or which military previously owned the vehicle. It also exempts such vehicles from a payload restriction, so we can actually use the trucks to haul stuff, IN ADDITION to driving to car shows, parades, grocery stores, etc.

DO NOT settle for reduced operating privileges, as is being talked about here.

I'll try and get this better proposal linked today. Sorry for the delay.

Paul U
The major problem with Erpenbach's bill is it doesn't allow operation as is currently allowed. There will be no deuces used as farm trucks, or logging trucks, or any other commercial/semi commercial purpose.

The bill should be simple: It should apply only to former military wheeled vehicles, and it should exempt the vehicles from DOT requirements that came into play after the car/truck series was initially ordered by the government. For M35A2's that would be something like 1965. It matters little that M35A2's were made up into the 1980's, the design was set in stone by the military back in the '60s. That is the date that should apply for titling and registration purposes.

If you settle for anything less, you are losing ground you have already taken.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks