• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wisconsin Robin Diesel Genset

Armada

Anyone have one of these? A military 3KW single cylinder Wisconsin Robin diesel genset.
Likes or dislikes, are they under rated at 3KW, easy/hard starting, etc.?

Armada

Any ideas on where to get a manual for one of these?
Part no. 0015-70029
model no. WRDI-270
serial no. 700608B
company name: Power Gard Generator Corp, a Baldor Co. Corp.

prime mover manufacturer name: T&J Manufacturing
prime mover identifying no: 30336R model no.

NEIOWA

I have one that obtained from DRMS for our fire dept (around 200hrs). Very nice little unit. As far as I have been able to determine only used by the AF. Quite a few have come thru the surplus system in the last 2-3 years but being AF (low hours, no field time/good condition/well maintained) they are reutilized and don't get into govliq's sweaty hands.

Engine is a Robin (Fuji) single cylinder diesel Has glowplug/manifold heater. Starts very easy with rope (also has electric start). I think 3kw is pretty conservative as the twist lock 120v plug is a 30amp design (if that indicates anything at all). I'd guess around 150lb total (good one man lift).

Manual is TO 35C2-3-499-1 and is op maint and parts manual. Says original manual issued 15 May 1990

Made by T & J Manufacturing Inc of Oshkosh Wi. Nice genset

Armada

Thanks NEIOWA! I located and now have the manuals. The numbers shown on my manuals are: Service manual 1193S114, $6.75; Parts manual PUB-EP-5754A, $5.50. Phone 888-576-2465, Robins Fulfillment Center. Parts can still be had.

I got mine from GL from a naval base. 300+ hours showing. When I got it, I filled the crankcase with oil and fueled the tank, and it started first pull with the rope. Added a battery and the electric start works great too. Smokes like hell (grey) at first but burns clean as it warms up. 120v works like a champ. A load doesn't bog it down at all. Have not tried the 240 outlet yet. Very happy with it. [thumbzup]

fffdavis

Follow the fuel line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. Should be a rubber line to the left side facing the crank rope to the middle of the engine. Should have a steel line connected to the top of the pump that goes up to the injector. The bleed plug is on the back left corner of the fuel pump. Loosen this plug until fuel runs out of it. This should bleed the pump. Once the pump is bled then loosen the metal line at the top of the engine where it connects to the injector. Crank the engine over until fuel comes out of this line then reconnect it. Make sure the fuel stop lever is to the run position. Crank it over to see if it starts.

wsucougarx

great got it:) One more question. What is that valve on top of the generator? It appears to be connect via 3 way T off the fuel line. The actual valve sits right by the fuel tank. I notice this valve screws in/out. What is it for?

OG

I believe there are two fuel lines on the tank, feed and return. Both must be opened
during operation and both are supposed to be shut during non-operation. I have
hard time locating manual for this unit. Does anyone have it? Calls to Robin Fulfillment
Center provided in this thread are unanswered and NWIOWA did not reply to my PM so far. I would gladly pay to have a copy made and mailed to me.

OG

OG

I was able to obtain manuals from Robin for engine part. Engine on this genset is
slightly modified DY-27 type. User's manual is downloadable from Robin's Japan web site and service and parts manuals I obtained from Robin USA. Calling their
fulfillment center was useless. Could never talk to live person just left messages which were never answered. I have them in PDF format, so I can email them to
anyone interested. Now, still looking for US Military manual, so that I can cover
the generator part as well.

OG

Armada

I still need a copy of the TO-35C2-3-499-1 also. I saw one at a repair shop once but they would not let me make any copies. They had gotten it from the AF when they had brought in a couple gensets to get worked on. If anyone ever comes across one, please let me know.

Attachments

OG

Looks like NWIOWA is the only one who has one :roll:. I found that electric portion
corresponds closely but not entirely, to one on Baldor's diesel gensets. Manual is available from
Baldor's web site, it is good at least as a spare parts manual for electrical portion.

OG

derf

That's a 30D36R. Baldor makes a modern version with Hatz power.

Fuel filter is 2436210120. I have one here in front of me. Crosses to Baldwin BF7847 and Woodgate WGF9341.

Fuji/Robin DY27. Civilian engine manuals and TM are on the www in pdf form. http://test.steelsoldiers.com/upload/Generators/TO-35C2-3-499-1.pdf

From another post:

The original part number for the fuel filter assembly listed in T.O. 35C2-3-499-1 is 2436210110. The new part number is 2436210120. Please note that although the two filter assemblies look virtually identical, you will need to carve a very small amount of plastic from the new filter to mount it. Also note that you need to be careful how you plumb it in with the fuel lines as if it is done according to the manual, it is backwards and you won't have a functional water trap. Once you look at it, it will be clear. I like using the replacement Robin filter because the result is almost identical with the original and it looks good.

The check valve is not utilized on the 30D36R genset. However, on the civilian (Japanese) model, a check valve is used. I purchased a new check valve in case I decided I needed it, but never used it. You probably know, but Baldow made the frame, generator head and fuel tank and those parts are also readily available. Baldor also makes a very nice wheel set for the 30D36R, which I intend to buy, but haven't yet. I've seen a couple of the military sets with the Baldor wheel kit installed. I also found the correct battery for the genset from Interstate. I had to order it. If you need the battery model, let me know.

derf

Seems like a good little gen, light and well made.
However, they are not like MEPs in that they are not under rated. A 3kW MEP-016D will push about 4.5kW power. The 30D36R might push 3.5kW for a short period but will not push 4.5kW at all.
Also, they have the benefit (or drawback) of having a 12V DC starting and charging system.