• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

witch to build? M1008 and M1028

84cucv1ton

i have both. was going to build the m1008 because it was cheap, bit of rust, dents needs a pump put in. does run. has 62k on it. the m1028 has a dent from a forklift. new drive shaft. 4 new tires. runs driver perfect. VERY clean no rust. 27k on it. had it up for sale a bunch of time. ebay too. still have it.feel kinda bad making the m1028 a wheeler. it is real nice truck. would take very little to make it 100% perfect.

what do you guys think? cant seem to make up my mind

thanks

BiggsChevys

In my opinion...

it is a lot easier to find a beat up truck than one in great shape.

Dont destroy a good truck wheeling, get a destroyed truck to wheel....

Bobbed4x4

Banned
I would have to agree with Cucvfreek.. throw the limited slip front axle into the 1008 and have hte best of both worlds... true 4 wheel drive and a truck you're not afraid to bounce of a tree or two lol

Bobbed4x4

Banned
well then, there ya go... it's been my experience that it's a whole lot easier to take a sawzall to a truck that the body is already beat up on while trying to make room for more appropriate wheelin tires that you picked up for a song and a dance and don't have the funds and/or time for the proper lift 2cents

84cucv1ton

$4000 here are the 2 trucks. the 1028 is the truck with the box. red one is the m1008

Attachments

Last edited:

trukhead

M1008 vs M1028

That is a good question. I have a near mint M1008 with 90,000 miles on it and a M1028 with 30,000 miles on it in partial canibalization courtesy the Mil. So I decided to detail to mint the M1008 including installing the 30,000 6,2 engine in it and use all the left over pieces on the M1028 and do the folowing:

I have a 85 m1028 (1 ton chevy 4x4) with a 6.2 and 30,000 miles 4.56 gears and limited slip in front and posi in the back with stock suspension and stock size tires and wheels. I want to pull the engine out and install a built 454 for offroad abuse and overreving misuse. So your opinions will be appreciated. I want to:

* run 12.5 compresion
* 1050 dominator alchohol card to run E-85 fuel (85% ethanol 15% unleaded gas)
* run 74 rectangle port iron heads and stainless valves Mercury (marine take outs)
* run a 2000 rpm stall converter in front of the turbo 400

I already have this engine, and 2 others, one with the aluminum 861 heads, actually have had it for 25 years sitting in new pieces.

The purpose of the truck will be to dodge cowpies and chase rabbits in the pasture and perhaps a local truck pull or 2 during the campaign season. THe duplicate build of this engine made 625 hp on the dyno at 7 grand. These ar all old school pieces and I am not worried about being competitive. I want to run the engine in a truck because I am tired of loooking at the engine in pieces on the shelf and I already have a 66 ss chevelle in the stages of reassembly with an old school BB engine.

Now that you know how it will be used, will it run on E-85?
Why E-85?, because they sell it at the local co-op and it is readily available.
I will do the complete alchohol compatible fuel system, will a coating work in the diesel fuel tank?

I just want ot have some fun with it before the world ends LOL.
Will a set of 30 year old stock legth carrillo connecting rods be put to better use in a high reving 12.5 comp +060 bore 427 or a + .125 bore 12.5 compression 454?

My other trucks are:
85 5/4 22,000 miles and a 6.2 loveit

85 5/4 90,000 miles and a 6.2 rustfree and being detailed to full military mint

M35A3 with a big ole Cat and allison automatic

89 dodge 1 ton with a cummins and a 5 speed

I found a late 70's early 80's (rust-free 4 miles, down the road) impala I might stick that 90,000 mile 6.2 in, Waddya think?