• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO filtering setup

noaccount

Ok, I sketched out a quick setup for a relatively low cost wmo system that I would like some thoughts on.
I have an large heated garage to put this in and since it is always 65+ I think that preheating can can wait until later (maybe)

The design is relatively open with room for easy upgrades in the future, such as moving from gravity fed to pumped filtering and such.

Basically I would like to do my collection with a 55 gallon drum and pump, using a screen mesh to avoid the big chunks. Then pump that to a 55gallon drum on a 10ft stand, plumb a drain off the raised barrel to run through a series of filters, to end in yet another barrel. The filtered oil could then be moved to the truck with by pump or by bucket.

Filters could go like this 25 -> Racor 6120R with 30micron filter -> 10 micron -> 1 micron

My thinking of putting the 25 before the Racor 30 is to extend the life of the more expensive filter while still getting the water separation. I may also add a water blocking filter after the final 1 micron(?)

I dunno this might be to much restriction to get away with doing a gravity feed, but adding a pump wouldn't be that hard, but the way I see it the need for additional fittings and pressure gauges greatly increases the cost.

Also, anyone have any idea on a way to rig up 2-3 bag filters with housings? Perhaps a cheap source or thoughts on making a housing with PVC?

Basically I want to try to build a budget system that is expandable for a couple reasons. 1) I am cheap 2) I can 3) if it works I can post the plans and hopefully other people can get in on it that are scared off by the perceived high costs of setup.

Attachments

Tlauden

I dont see why it wouldn't work, maybe a little slow but oh well... Maybe put an output to your filters 2-3 inches higher, leaving room for the water to separate out, but keep a drain on the very bottom somewhere to drain the water. That might keep your filter costs down a little.

That's just my 2cents

paulfarber

My setup is almost exactly as yours, but I use 275 gallon totes,not 55 gallon barrels.

I am on the third do over.

One thing I am adding is a skimmer. Taking oil from the bottom or near bottom has gotten me lots of water. I (and you) need a way to skim off the top, and also to get to that settles water on the bottom.

I am looking into a float type skimmer.

But other that that the typical advice always applies: relief valve on the pressure side of the pump, a pressure gauge, and plenty-o-valves to isolate the filters for changing.

Gravity works fine if you are not in a hurry.

noaccount

Slow isn't really a problem, without any heating elements or pumps running I don't see any reason you couldn't just let let trickle down through the filters 24/7 when the bottom barrel fills the flow will stop, and when the top barrel is empty (or the level is below the output) it stops. No need for anything other than occasional monitoring to ensure it is still flowing.

I may thin the unfiltered with gasoline to improve flow and water separation and flow a bit. I figured I would set the output higher than the bottom of the barrel as you said.

I had considered a float type pickup that could work by syphoning the oil from the top. You are correct though, considering the currents created by the flow of the output there really isn't a good way to prevent picking up the crud on the bottom. The simple solution may be to allow it to settle out for a day or three, then draining off the bottom. It may also help to have the output set at approx 4 inches, go into the barrel, then have a 90* elbow with a 2" exntension towards the op of the barrel. This should prevent allot of the current from the intake stirring up the sediment on the bottom of the barrel.

So, any thoughts on sourcing the filters? I like the idea of bag filters since i think the larger surface area should allow for a faster flow rate with out adding a pump. I just need to come up with a decent way to mount them in series.

Kohburn

i think its a good setup - if using a bung valve to remove your oil then that is already a few inches up from the bottom, I would add a petcock drain to the middle of the bottom most section to drain off water with a clear tube.

hawkeyepoole

Racor Filters

I see the Racor filters on line, where do you find the mounts to attach the filters to?

Have you guys replaced the stock canister fuel filter with something more substantial? what?

Thankx!

Hawkeye
Keller, TX

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks