• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO fuel, any long term damage or issues with soot buildup in cylinders?

norbilla

I am very interested in using a 50/50 to 60/40 diesel/WMO mix in my M109A3. Was told by someone who says they understand engines and that WMO will cause damage to cylinders/pistons due to soot/carbon build up. I don't think they have much experience with multifuel motors, and I don't know enough to really argue with them. Any good advice?

A

A/C Cages

Same as General Mcgregor just said. I once every 5 or 6 tanks run a 60% diesel mix to help keep things clean and its been running for years like this.

Josh

Been running WMO as a primary fuel for the least year and a half. From September to April, I mix it 50/50 with either gas or diesel(what ever is cheaper at the pump). Rest of the year its more of a 90-100% WMO to gas/diesel. Yet to see any side effects.

donttreadonmebmg

I hate to do it, I'll probably get my arse chewed but here it goes.

Does anyone know where I can get a 2 Micron spin on oil filter for my WMO filtering system.
Right now I have a 10 micron filter but before I use the oil for fuel I want to run it through a 2 micron filter.
please give part number and where you got it.
Thanks

I don't mean to High jack your thread either.

norbilla

Thanks to everyone for the information. donttreadonmebmg, no worries, look at it more as more in depth information to the original question.
What about synthetic WMO? Will it cause any problems?

norbilla

Thanks to everyone for the information. donttreadonmebmg, no worries, look at it more as more in depth information to the original question.

Josh

I ran a tank of $26/quart Syn race oil. The deuce loved it. I nabbed a 55gallon drum of it because someone dumped less then 4 quarts of WMO in it on accident. They thought it was the WMO drum.

wikallen

I ran a tank of $26/quart Syn race oil. The deuce loved it. I nabbed a 55gallon drum of it because someone dumped less then 4 quarts of WMO in it on accident. They thought it was the WMO drum.

Nice!

I picked up another 20 gallons of waste oil from a friend of a friend on my way home from work. I have been filling my tank up with wmo for 2 months now. I figured with the diesel and gasoline that is already in the tank will be a good enough mix for me to run 100% wmo now that it is warming up again. I thought I would stick in some diesel once in a while over the summer 10 gallons here or there, but for the most part, I plan to run 100% wmo.

At 3.85 a gallon for diesel, I will try to drive my pickup only when I am getting paid to do so for my job, otherwise on personal time, drive my deuce.

scoutmanadam

i havnt run any in mine yet, but my uncle has run a 80/20 mix for the last 7 years as a almost daily driver. he does run every fifth tank or so straight diesel with two quarts of atf in it. he only adds the atf because a old army mechanic friend of his told him it helps. no problems so far

panshark

one of the points I've seen Doghead raise on WMO being used, and the effects thereof: Waste motor oil is not listed as an acceptable alternative fuel.

Also, the multifuel engine was designed with a bit different purpose than a toyota sedan engine, they're not going to go 400k miles with minimal maintenance. I've seen new guys advised to stock up on as many spare parts as possible; that advice has to have good reason behind it.

That being said, I run WMO, and pay taxes on the amount that I use. The only issues that I could possibly, recklessly blame on WMO for engine component breakdown would maybe be an o-ring on my manifold heater, the O-ring was made out of Buna-N, which is described as having less-than-desirable tolerances to alternative fuels (such as brake fluid, gasoline, etc). The failure of the o-ring on the end of the injector caused oil to jettison onto the top of the turbo. O-ring replaced by Kelrez type O-ring. Now my heater has an O-ring that wasn't made by the lowest bidder.

To determine which O-rings can tolerate which environments: O-Ring Material Selection / Comparison Guide