• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wmo mix sticky or thread

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I thought I saw a rule about capitalization?

pigpen60

Ok what happend to yall? maybe we need to start a thread about your mixes/ratios/formulas for burning waste oil and what your burning it in?

Beyond Biodiesel

...maybe we need to start a thread about your mixes/ratios/formulas for burning waste oil and what your burning it in?
I have been running a 6.2L diesel engine on 20%gasoline to 80% WVO for 7 years. I have started it on that blend when the temperatures were at 0F (-18c), with no block heater. It ran fine. Two days ago I started my 6.2L diesel engine on that blend when the temperatures were 20F (-6.7C). It was a little hard starting and it ran a little rough. I started my M756a2 on that blend on the same day. It was a little hard starting, but it idled great. I expect the multi-fuel engine is going to run just fine on waste oils.

The thing to get is blends are one thing, and processing the waste oil-based fuel is another subject, that needs to be handled. I blend all my waste oils with gasoline to thin the oil, and it also helps contaminants, such as: water and particulate, to settle out. I leave my blends to settle for at least a week, then I remove the sediments from the blend, then I filter down to 1-micron. I found WMO needs a centrifuge as well, because it tends to have a lot of sub-micron carbon and ash in it.

helomedic1171

all of this sounds awesome, but it's all really fuzzy to me. going to have to keep researching. I'm starting to save my WMO so I can use it in my genset eventually.

helomedic1171

MEP 003. it runs great, but seeing as I change oil on all my vehicles and equipment, it's not uncommon to have a few gallons here and there of the used stuff. if I can filter it down, I could burn it and my used ATF and not spend as much on fuel to run the genset. (plus, no one will mess with me for running "red" fuel, since it's a genset).

Love that avatar, by the way...

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I think that would be deserving of its own thread once you decide to do it. Are you planning on doing any test ratios or just dumping the oil in as fuel is needed. I have thought of trying this myself, but I get busy and testing never happens.

helomedic1171

thinking about test ratios. like 4:1, 3:1, 2:1, and mixing with diesel vs gasoline. it doesn't get cold enough to worry about fuel gelling here in Savannah, so I think my options are wider than guys in the north. also, I need to come up with a filtration set up. 2 or 3 oil filters in series with some sort of pump to push (or pull) it all through. sounds good when it's still nebulous, right? what I'd do is probably take a jerry can, add the desired oil amount, and then fill fuel on top. slosh it around as I fill it, let it mix really well, then use it in the day tank at 5 gallons at a time. if it doesn't work as well, I turn the genset to "aux" and let the 20 gal barrel refill the day tank with fuel to thin out the test batch.

Iceman3005

I have been running a 6.2L diesel engine on 20%gasoline to 80% WVO for 7 years. I have started it on that blend when the temperatures were at 0F (-18c), with no block heater. It ran fine. Two days ago I started my 6.2L diesel engine on that blend when the temperatures were 20F (-6.7C). It was a little hard starting and it ran a little rough. I started my M756a2 on that blend on the same day. It was a little hard starting, but it idled great. I expect the multi-fuel engine is going to run just fine on waste oils.

The thing to get is blends are one thing, and processing the waste oil-based fuel is another subject, that needs to be handled. I blend all my waste oils with gasoline to thin the oil, and it also helps contaminants, such as: water and particulate, to settle out. I leave my blends to settle for at least a week, then I remove the sediments from the blend, then I filter down to 1-micron. I found WMO needs a centrifuge as well, because it tends to have a lot of sub-micron carbon and ash in it.
I was running about 70%wmo and 30% #2diesel and my 6.2 had no power could barely get it to 45-50mph at full throttle, so I should have been using gas or possibly kerosene to thin the wmo???

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks