• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wmo mix sticky or thread

Beyond Biodiesel

I was running about 70%wmo and 30% #2diesel and my 6.2 had no power could barely get it to 45-50mph at full throttle, so I should have been using gas or possibly kerosene to thin the wmo???
I am not surprised that you had trouble running 70%wmo to 30% #2diesel on a 6.2. You will find that 20-30% gasoline, or 30%-50% kerosene to WMO will work better. Also, WMO tends to be very dirty, so I recommend blending, then settling it for at least a month to 2 months, or run it through a centrifuge. But, settling is free.

helomedic1171

I can vouch for that. My update: I mixed about 25% gasoline to WMO and poured it in my day tank for the genset. So far, no change at all. Ran great. Going to try adding more of the mixed fuel with the diesel and see if it has any effect. I will say that letting the oil settle is definitely a.good idea, because I can see she's the crux is on the bottomed of the oil when I pour it I.to a other container. What I need to do is figure out an effective way to filter either the blended fuel or just the oil prior to blending.

Iceman3005

I am not surprised that you had trouble running 70%wmo to 30% #2diesel on a 6.2. You will find that 20-30% gasoline, or 30%-50% kerosene to WMO will work better. Also, WMO tends to be very dirty, so I recommend blending, then settling it for at least a month to 2 months, or run it through a centrifuge. But, settling is free.
I have a 325 gallon tote with about 150 gallons of oil that I heated too 100 degrees then filtered the oil into using a 1 mircon bag filter through the top of the tote, let it settle for about 2 weeks then drained it till it got thick, it was about 5 to 6 gallons. Then filtered it using a 1 micron bag filter again into a 6 gallon bucket with the diesel, worked out to be about 70/30 mix in the 6 gallon bucket. I don't have a centrifuge but have looked at a few companys, don't really want to spend a lot of money on this project, that is kinda the whole point of the wmo.

I will try the gas mixture, I have about 150 gallons of wmo in the tote right now so I think I will just dump about 30% gas in the tote, mix it up and let it settle again. I did put stanadyne diesel lubricant/water remover in the tote, not sure if I needed to but figured it wouldn't hurt to help remove the water.

Last edited:

Beyond Biodiesel

I can vouch for that. My update: I mixed about 25% gasoline to WMO and poured it in my day tank for the genset. So far, no change at all. Ran great. Going to try adding more of the mixed fuel with the diesel and see if it has any effect. I will say that letting the oil settle is definitely a.good idea, because I can see she's the crux is on the bottomed of the oil when I pour it I.to a other container. What I need to do is figure out an effective way to filter either the blended fuel or just the oil prior to blending.
I am not supprised that you found no change running 25% gasoline to WMO on your diesel genset. Like Iceman3005, I filter down to 1-micron all of my blends, but after settling. I found even after a week of settling, then filtering to 1-micron, a centrifuge still pulled almost a full bowl of black crud out of my WMO-gasoline blends. However, I found a month to 2 of settling removes all of the black dirt. You could even filter just with a paint filter after that, just to get the odd chunks out.

Jeepsinker

It shouldn't. Think of it like paint thinner, once you mix it it may evaporate out, but it won't separate. Petroleum based solvent in a petroleum based lubricant.

Beyond Biodiesel

Beyond Biodiesel, After I mix in the gas and let it sit for a while, drain off water and contaminents, will I have to stir it again? Will the gas/wmo seperate?
No, you want any precipitates to form, so that you can remove them. After removal there should be no more precipitates; however, it takes about 2 weeks for all precipitates to settle out from WVO-gasoline blends. It takes about 2 months for all precipitates to settle out from WMO-gasoline blends. If you want to speed up the settling process, then purchase a centrifuge.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Beyond Biodiesel. I'm taking a bit of your advice. I had to collect about 150 gallons of WVO today. It looked pretty much clean. I pumped up into several drums but left enough room for gasoline. I added about 5 gallons of gas to each 55 gal drum (It's only got about 50 gal total in them). I'm not in a rush over this though. Was planning on letting it settle for at least two weeks. Then drawing down from the top to the bottom leaving the last bit. Was planning on running WVO in my bobber and my NHC-250 powered trucks. As well as possibly a very light blend of this WVO/Gas in my Liberty CRD. (I'm thinking no more than 30%)

Beyond Biodiesel

Good to hear you are going to try the gasoline blend idea. I assume you mean by 30% the 70% will be diesel fuel. I think that is a really wise, and cautious way to explore waste-oil-gasoline blends; however, there is a relationship between any waste oil and gasoline that should be maintained, which is about 20% gasoline to 80% waste oil. You could still run that blend at only 30% to diesel fuel, and your engine probably would not have any change in performance at all, and the gasoline content would only be 6%, which is to small for any diesel engine to notice, especially when in relation to waste oil at 20-80 parts.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, in the other trucks that are more sensitive, I was thinking a 30% WVO/70% Diesel blend. But in the bobber deuce (multifuel), I'll run a higher ratio of WVO. I was running about 80% WMO in my other.

Beyond Biodiesel

So just heating and filtering is inefficent or inadaquite at removing contaminants???
Correct, because there can be liquids that are also precipitates, such as water, or radiator fluid, or tar, so the sediments need to be separated from the uniform solution that floats on top. There can even be contaminants that float on top, so you have to pay attention to the fuel that you are making.

reset2

Beyond Biodiesel. I'm taking a bit of your advice. I had to collect about 150 gallons of WVO today. It looked pretty much clean. I pumped up into several drums but left enough room for gasoline. I added about 5 gallons of gas to each 55 gal drum (It's only got about 50 gal total in them). I'm not in a rush over this though. Was planning on letting it settle for at least two weeks. Then drawing down from the top to the bottom leaving the last bit. Was planning on running WVO in my bobber and my NHC-250 powered trucks. As well as possibly a very light blend of this WVO/Gas in my Liberty CRD. (I'm thinking no more than 30%)
I would recommend to pour in the gasoline first and then pour in the WVO or WMO (never both could jell). This way it will be mixed the best, other wise it could separate again in the barrel or be rich with gas in the top of the barrel. Or you could pump mix once blended.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I would recommend to pour in the gasoline first and then pour in the WVO or WMO (never both could jell). This way it will be mixed the best, other wise it could separate again in the barrel or be rich with gas in the top of the barrel. Or you could pump mix once blended.
Too late. But they have had a good sloshing on the drive home, plus me going out and shaking the truck several times. It will be pumped around again when I filter it. Just waiting on the filters to come in.

dikwks

Hey fellas, just so you know. I've run an NHC250 in a 925 on a mixture of 50/50 diesel/WMO mix no problem. The mix was 80oil/20 gas with the oil settled filtered to 5 microns and then centrifuged. Ran just fine, well enough that I wanted to try a more oily mix til my A2 5ton got here and I started taking the 925 apart. Once the A2 is up and running, it will get the same mix and then some. Bottom line, it works just fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks