• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO question

Ford Mechanic

I'm getting ready to get a m35a2 and I want to run it on a mix of WMO and diesil or gas? And i was wondering what weight WMO ya'll normally use? I have got a line on all the straight 40w and atf that i could ever use (a buddy with several tug boats). Can i burn a oil that thick? I've been looking at the threads for trying to set up a filtering station for it but i've got no idea on how i would heat it? Is it really nessecary to heat it or will a fuel/water seperator work as well? Could i get some Pics of ya'lls filtering stations to give me some ideas on where to start?

Thanks,
Mike

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
All your questions have been answered in the Alt fuels forum. Feel free to look around and check out what has been done.

Yes those oils will work fine as fuel for a deuce.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Thick stuff can be diluted. My duece elixer uses diesel, gas, WVO and WMO.

Unless you have good clean veggie you can just go with gas and WMO. Depending on how thick the WMO you have is determines how much you dilute it.

While there are folks on here that run straight WMO I would not go with less than 30% gas in a mixture......especially in cold weather.

If you cut the thick oil with regular gas you are basically making diesel fuel since diesel is left over after gas has been distilled from crude oil. There was a time when the refinerys could not give diesel away.

Your milage (and success) may vary.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
One thing to check into is if your state takes a hard line about paying your road use tax. (most do)

You may want to check into getting a "Fuel Blenders" license.

And remember, no straight gas in these trucks. It will run for awhile in a combat situation, but the engine will suffer.

Tlauden

I run anywhere from 100% WMO -100% Diesel and every mixture in between. In the summer heat she runs fine on straight WMO due to its always 70+ degrees outside. Wintertime she's stubborn to start on straight oil only because it thickens up. I've never mixed with gas, for diluting purposes diesel "thins" it out just fine IMO. I would suggest starting out with a 50/50 diesel/WMO mix and from that point you can fine tune it for your trucks needs.

Be warned though, 100% WMO makes a lot of smoke ;)

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Also plan on changing your filters more often. If using WVO it will "clean" all the junk out of the system and clog the filters.

goldneagle

One thing to check into is if your state takes a hard line about paying your road use tax. (most do)

You may want to check into getting a "Fuel Blenders" license.

And remember, no straight gas in these trucks. It will run for awhile in a combat situation, but the engine will suffer.
What kind of road tax do drivers of electric cars pay?

Ford Mechanic

How many differnt steps do you normally go thru? Is it possible to clean the WMO using a 1 tank set-up? Mabey i should post a pic of my plan, it might show the faults better.

Ford Mechanic

Oh yeah if you are diluting with gas, do you dilute before you heat it or after to seperate the water? If you heated it after diluting with gas would the gas evaporate out or would there be a more substanial fire risk?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What kind of road tax do drivers of electric cars pay?

Just wait, they will find a way to tax them.

Also if you run out of electricity while away from home, where do you plug in at and do you have to pay the person who's plug you tap into?

'48Chevy6

Oh yeah if you are diluting with gas, do you dilute before you heat it or after to seperate the water? If you heated it after diluting with gas would the gas evaporate out or would there be a more substanial fire risk?
I have found no need to heat when blending with gas. Mixing gas into WMO causes the contaminates to begin to separate and settle out. Give it time (two weeks in the sun is good), and your filters wil last a lot longer.

Heating oil will cause the contaminates to settle out, and help it flow through your filters better. But the viscosity returns when you remove the heat, so gas wins.

We use a lot of quarry truck WMO, thick, tarry, nasty stuff. Gas just works.

Ford Mechanic

I have found no need to heat when blending with gas. Mixing gas into WMO causes the contaminates to begin to separate and settle out. Give it time (two weeks in the sun is good), and your filters wil last a lot longer.

Heating oil will cause the contaminates to settle out, and help it flow through your filters better. But the viscosity returns when you remove the heat, so gas wins.

We use a lot of quarry truck WMO, thick, tarry, nasty stuff. Gas just works.

Are you using the 100% gas or the up to 10% ethenol blended stuff?

We are having problems if any water gets into the 10% stuff (the only thing availible here) the ethenol seporates and absorbs the water and then the whole mix is bad.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
On an m35 multifuel there is a FDC "fuel density compensator " if it is not bypassed and functionable u shouldn't have any problem with dencer fuels
This is in-correct, and I'd like to add, you SHOULD by-pass it as they are prone to leaking fuel into your crankcase oil.

'48Chevy6

Are you using the 100% gas or the up to 10% ethenol blended stuff?

We are having problems if any water gets into the 10% stuff (the only thing availible here) the ethenol seporates and absorbs the water and then the whole mix is bad.
We must assume that any gas we get is contaminated with alc.

Mix the gas with wmo. Let the ethanol separate, let it attract some water. Then let that mess settle out. Drain it off and get to filtering what's left. It's all good.

cbvet

I don't heat my WMO before filtering, but I do try to get enough done in the summer time to carry me through to next year.
I add gas or diesel in the winter only. About 50/50 I guess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks