• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WMO, WVO, Anyone running it in MD?

Greasey1009

So....I am in the market for a M1009, and the pipe dream is running it on wmo, wvo, along with standard pump diesel.

I was wondering if anyone in the Peoples Republic Of Maryland was running their machine on a waste fuel? Any issues with local gubment? How/where are you collecting, etc.? Any thoughts would be helpful...thanks from a potential, future, waste oil burner.

armadillofz1

i run WMO and waste gas exclusively in my deuce. pretty much unlimited supply at work. i'm in hazzard county.

not sure about the cucv but my multi is made for it, so no problem.

'48Chevy6

I have no experience with CUCVs, only my deuce. Like armadillo, I have only pulled up to a diesel pump twice and that was only because I got behind on filtering WMO. We haven't gotten into WVO yet.

As far as government goes, we are still working through that. There is certain paperwork to be filled out but the laws aren't exactly clear for those of us only using 100 gallons a month. I don't know, but I would think being down near the city you would want to get that figured out before you drive too far.

Collection? Start at the nearest garage and just ask what they do with their waste oil and if you could get some of it for a project. Also check to make sure coolant is in a separate container. WMO will definitly save you some money but be prepared to spend a good bit of time on it until you get the system down.

One more thing-- As exciting as it is to run cheap fuel, be careful who you tell. A few people will think you are going to kill the world by burning "old dirty motor oil." The bigger concern for us so far has been diesel mechanics, most of whom know a lot about trucks, discouraging WMO use because of engine damage. Just be sure to filter everything well and you will be fine.

Zach

Greasey1009

Thanks guys...not sure if driving around in a m1009 would get much attention from any authorities looking to test fuel, guess I will find out.

I would like to get into the wvo, but the wmo seems like the cheapest, "easiest" entry point into running a waste oil for me. I have a wvo source, but the logistics are another thing. Although I would guess the logistics would be similar in that I still would be pumping out of a tank, trap or barrel, filtering, and using at a warmer temperature, pre-heating it, or cutting it with another fuel.

Anything I do will be low key. Friends and family may know, but its definitely not something I would advertise.

Has anyone had the police sample your tank? I would think driving a m1009 wouldn't put you in the "suspicious of running illegal fuel" category since its so close to a civilian vehicle.

atankersdad

In Memorial
In Memorial
I think you are safe with a M1009. As long as you have a tag light and do not stand out. The MTA LEO's are the worst. Key Bridge, Harbor Tunnel and the I 95 Susquehana bridge is where they are the worst. Balto County cops could care less, trust me. Baltimore City cops are just glad to meet someone who is not a gang banger and looks and acts like a law abiding citizen.

big1096

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've been trying to gather information on this in a manner as not to give up too much info. As you well know, collecting information can have a tendency to attract attention of the unwanted type! The only stuff I can find deals with buying "special" fuels in bulk for distribution or use as a motor fuel. Unfortunately I can't find amounts to attach to the "bulk" designation. Additionally, nothing specifies WMO, but they do mention "any form of liquid biological fuel". I really don't want to call and ask, because then we may draw attention to an additional source of revenue for the penny grabbers to latch onto.

Here's the link to the Comptroller's page if you haven't seen it:

Motor Fuel, Alcohol and Tobacco Tax - Motor Fuel Tax - Tax Information - Licensing & Registration

In searching for more info, I found the following statement under the fuel tax rates:

"Special fuel includes diesel and any product other than gasoline that is useable as a motor fuel."

And with that, the tax rate of 24.25 cents per gallon, which is higher than the gasoline tax. Every day I find another reason to move out of this state...

Last edited:

Greasey1009

Thats the best thing about ALL regulation, government programs, etc....they want you to answer all the questions before you know what the correct response should be!

I think the use of wvo and wmo and all waste oils is probably in a grey area in regards to legislation. Although, form what I have read, if your tank is tested and its not what it should be you probably automatically fall into the "law breaker" category as a default.

Thanks for the link by the way.

swampzr2

Are they really likely to test your tank?? There aren't too many vehicles that are set up to burn WMO. Just the older diesels and multi-fuels I believe.... right??

Thats the best thing about ALL regulation, government programs, etc....they want you to answer all the questions before you know what the correct response should be!

I think the use of wvo and wmo and all waste oils is probably in a grey area in regards to legislation. Although, form what I have read, if your tank is tested and its not what it should be you probably automatically fall into the "law breaker" category as a default.

Thanks for the link by the way.

Greasey1009

Not sure really...it seems to me that a big ole' deuce would draw more attention than a m1009. For the most part, it seems most people don't even realize they are running diesel...let alone some alternative, untaxed fuel.

I was just going off what I have read in other threads regarding samples being pulled, etc.

I am sure its cool....sure...totally sure...kinda sure...well...guess I will find out.