• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WO/W to W/W

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not hard is your a bit mechanically inclined and have something to pick the winch itself up with when mounting it...
Several of us have done it...

jwaller

Daneil said:
Has anyone put a winch on a truck that didn't have one? If so, how difficult is it. I'm stuck on which one to try and get. Any suggestions.
ya. prob half the trucks out there that have them didnt come with um. not hard at all. a little searching will net you 3-4 in the last 4 weeks.

txdodge43man

RE: Re: WO/W to W/W

I did it to my m35a2 took me about 10 hours from take off to reinstall by my self and a fork lift and thats cleaning parts and little repairs. But you could do it with a engine lift instead. Is also a good time to go through the winch and check the gaskest and bushings.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: WO/W to W/W

Couple questions, since I plan to do this myself on my M35A2 wo/w :

1. What is the weight of the stock deuce front bumper?

2. What is the weight of the winch assembly?

This will help me determine what I can use to lift these items, since I am not rich enough to own a wrecker. I might have a suitable locust tree limb that I can hang a chain hoist from....

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A strong limb of a tree should work.

When your adding the winch, take the time to change out the seals before you set it in place.

And DONT forget the plywood to protect the radiator..
If you forget, or think you'll be super careful, either way chances are you'll wind up needing a new radiator.....

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
emmado22 said:
And DONT forget the plywood to protect the radiator..
If you forget, or think you'll be super careful, either way chances are you'll wind up needing a new radiator.....
THAT sounds like experience talking.

Blood_of_Tyrants

I just finished one this week. It is all bolts and nuts. It is not hard at all but it is a lot quicker and easier if you use an impact wrench. Most of it can be done by one person but you will need a second person to lift and place the winch (without cable, of course) and a second person to help put the bumper back on. Make sure that you put enough gaskets between the PTO and the transmission so that you have enough gear lash (a little looseness between the gears). Shoot me a pm and I'll sell you some baskets for what they cost me plus mailing ($2.25 each). You will need about 3 to 5 (they are really thin) to get the right gear lash.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
MNo first hand experience here of needing a new rad, but I did read LOTS about it on here before I added my winch.... I learned from those who did learn the hard way....

rockman

I bought a project truck from the forest service to get the winch. If is fairly easy if you take your time. Lots of bolts to remove and things are heavy. I used a cherry picker to get the winch in place and tighten the bolts. They weigh in the 4oo pound range?. I have help most of the heavy time. Getting the PTO lined and set was slow going also.

Good project for a couple of weeks in the summer. Think about a scrap truck as mine was $575.

Bill

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bumper prolly goes 75# or so. I lift them on and off by myself all the time. Winch is just shy of 400#. A fair size brance and even a come-a-long does the job well. With air tools it goes pretty quick. I can do everything on the front in about 2 hours. Takes me another 2 or so to shim and mount the PTO.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Blood_of_Tyrants said:
The winch is no where near 400# if you take the wire rope off first. Maybe 130#. My son and I easily lifted mine and placed it on the winch frame extensions.
I have to agree on the weight. While I havn't weighed one I did lift one (without wire rope on the drum) into the back of my pickup. It wasn't easy but there's no way I could lift 400# into the back of my 3/4 ton Dodge 4X4 without help.

Lorax

After checking the winch and having all the parts ready to go, it took a full weekend to install everything. You know how it is, first time going real slow. Installing a second one would go considerably faster now.

Do yourself a favor and buy all new fasteners before starting. Half of mine broke when taking things apart, and the other half stripped the threads.

Blood_of_Tyrants

Lorax said:
Do yourself a favor and buy all new fasteners before starting. Half of mine broke when taking things apart, and the other half stripped the threads.
And soak every not and bolt you can find on the bumper with penetrating oil a few hours before you start. It will make disassembly MUCH quicker.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks