• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wobble at 35..

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, just putting this out there for some recommendations .. 1989 M998... Lube order done, rebuilt tranny and t case to spec.. inspected all drivetrain.. Recently replaced runflats with Trailworthy PVC inserts, torqued to spec and balanced.. So before tire runflats removal and balancing, had same issue....... At 32-35 MPH my front end gets to wobbling. 40 MPH fine, 30 MPH fine.. 32-35 front grill and hood start to shake.. And Centramatics onboard btw... Soooo... I’ve done some searching and finding some points to look at, but want to get some input at things I can start to pinpoint.. Tires all “decent” 2013-2014 years. MTs No cracks, look great.. One issue, rebuilding tires and found one mismatched inner and outer hub.. but I figured the balancing would fix most of any issues with that.. Hmmmm... So.. here I stand, all said and done. Runflats removed, wheels balanced, Centramatics on, and still same wobble at 32-35 MPH... any takers ???? I’ll take em all 😂😂😂🙌🏻 Thanks for input and taking a moment to read ..

Ocho Out !!!!!

Bulldogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Wobble is usually imbalance or a flat spot on the tires. One fellow earlier this year spotted tread missing as well. Sounds like you've handled those potential sources.

Are your hubs mounted securely to the control arms? Could be loose. With each tire off, give the geared hub hell with side to side and vertical shaking to see if it is solid. I've seen bad control arm bushings, not a pretty sight ahead of me on a mountain trail with a family of 5 in the HMMWV in question. We torqued them down hard and they got home safe.

BDGR

papakb

When you reassembled your wheels did you use the centering washers on the studs? They don't need to be on every stud, 3 per wheel are enough on 12 bolt wheels. The centering washers are part number 6001844. I don't believe the military ever used them but the H1s did and correcting a problem never hurts.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks