• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wobbling Pulley Stuck

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pulley has an overrunning clutch in it that the bearings have gone south in, will likely need to use a puller to remove.

EDIT, I was wrong!

Last edited:

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It sure does not look like it, I have been wrong before,,,if the center of the hub is also moving on the shaft then the shaft is damaged to the point the pulley will not come off as the shaft is straight with no taper or keyway, again I could be wrong...

EDIT, I am wrong... that shaft does have a keyway.

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

It sure does not look like it, I have been wrong before,,,if the center of the hub is also moving on the shaft then the shaft is damaged to the point the pulley will not come off as the shaft is straight with no taper or keyway, again I could be wrong...
ALTERNATOR GENERATOR TRUCK HMMWV GROOVED PULLEY 1 1/4-TON HMMWV M998 12460259 | eBay Its this pulley, the shaft seems to still be completely solid. I do have another an old generator lying around that I can change the shaft on if I need too

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that is the one you bought then it is a solid pulley and the nut did not get tight enough allowing the pulley to spin on the shaft, if that is a 400A alt I don't think they were ever intended to have a solid pulley way too much rotating mass.

Hummer Guy

If that is the one you bought then it is a solid pulley and the nut did not get tight enough allowing the pulley to spin on the shaft, if that is a 400A alt I don't think they were ever intended to have a solid pulley way too much rotating mass.
Its the 200Amp, I'm not sure if they was attended for it either to be honest. I had the pulley in vinegar for about 8 months because it had started to collect rust, I don't know if that had weakened it possibly

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have been running one but for only about 3K with no problems, can't see how a little rust would hurt, you did clean the bore and stuff yes?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pulley is keyed and the shaft in the TM looks like it is keyed and shows a key,, I cannot remember now if I have a key on mine or not.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That pulley listed has a different offset than the ones we are running, I assume that is because of a different serpentine belt setup on the earlier trucks under 197K serial number. but they did build a pot load with solid pulleys.

Hummer Guy

I have been running one but for only about 3K with no problems, can't see how a little rust would hurt, you did clean the bore and stuff yes?
Yea I cleaned it, number 5, my shaft has this sqaure looking key as well, but I thought it was part of the shaft, not a part that can be removed. I'm also missing that washer on the outside, I only had a nut

Hummer Guy

I got the pulley off, I used a piece of metal to brace the bottom of it and pull it off with a crowbar on top.

Now the question is this key on the generator is still good? it looks like the top of it got dented in a bit at the edge. Also, have anyone had this happen on their pulley? Its crazy how the inside of the pulley completely broke where the key went at.

One thing to take note, this pulley was left in a bucket of vinegar for about 9 months straight, I don't know if this weakened it or not (Yes, it was an accident, I had dipped it in there because it started rusting badly and forgot about it)

Attachments

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’m not sure if it’s the photography, but it looks like somethings wrong with the alternator itself. Is that spinning assembly itself shaking? Does it turn freely? Either that or you beat the shit out of it with a crowbar, which may damage the function of the stator, and may damage the function of the rotating spindle.

Hummer Guy

I’m not sure if it’s the photography, but it looks like somethings wrong with the alternator itself. Is that spinning assembly itself shaking? Does it turn freely? Either that or you beat the shit out of it with a crowbar, which may damage the function of the stator, and may damage the function of the rotating spindle.
No, the alternator is perfectly fine, it turns freely and doesn't shake but yea you're right about the 2nd answer, it got beaten up a bit when I had to remove my clutch pulley before

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The key is no good, I am surprised at how good the shaft looks, the pulley must be much softer, it looks like you just did not get the pulley tight enough.
I ordered 4 keys off of fleybay just to have stock, they will be here early next week if you want drop me a PM with your address and I will put one in the mail to you or here is the link.

Last edited:

Hummer Guy

The key is no good, I am surprised at how good the shaft looks, the pulley must be much softer, it looks like you just did not get the pulley tight enough.
I ordered 4 keys off of fleybay just to have stock, they will be here early next week if you want drop me a PM with your address and I will put one in the mail to you or here is the link.
Im going to order some, is there any special way to take these off the shaft?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Use a small chisel and lay it flat on the shaft in front of the key, as you try to knock the key back it will roll out of the shaft.
It looks like a 3/4" washer might work the specs call for a .766-.797 ID and a 1.172-1.203" OD, by .0478 thick, most 3/4" washers are a little over size.
You might also be able to hook the back of the key with a small seal puller.