• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wobbly Wheel

jerseyjeep2003

My truck has developed wobbly wheel syndrome, or as some say...death wobble. At 35 mph I get so much wobble that I can't even hold the steering wheel, moves about 2" either way. So OK, I figure maybe tie rod ends, king pins or wheel bearings. I found some play in the king pin (.020 up and down, that is .006 out of spec), wheel bearings good (minimally loose) tie rod ends good and tight, steering box not too bad. So I replace king pin bushings and repack and snug up bearings, checked for bent rim....yes. I made a jig to use my dial indicator to measure the bend after "sledgehammering" the steel into submission. I got the total runout on the rim (not mounted to the truck) to .010. I THOUGHT this would have solved the problem.....nope, still wobbles. I am running 16x20 Mich's with tubes. Could the tube be "shifted" in the rim, or could the tire hve a bad belt as some passenger car tires get? Even though the tires are directional, I am thinking of switching them left to right just to see if the wobble follows the tire. Any thoughts may or may not be helpful, but are definately appreciated.

jerseyjeep2003

They are tube type rims, rechecked and straightened rim, but it still has a slight bend on the frond half of rim. Going to take it to work on Monday and try and straighten it some more.

Scarecrow1

Not to be a smart butt but have you checked the lugs . I seem to remember a similar post a few weeks back and it was the lug nuts that caused the problem with that one . You may be as lucky.........

jerseyjeep2003

Not to be a smart butt but have you checked the lugs . I seem to remember a similar post a few weeks back and it was the lug nuts that caused the problem with that one . You may be as lucky.........
Yeah, I thought about that, they were all tight and centered in the holes. There was a definate bend in the rim. I think the bad king pin bushing and spacer started the wobble and that acted like a hammer that started the bend in the rim and then it just compounded itself because of the weight of the tire.

jerseyjeep2003

WOW...!:shock: ... really?

G.
I dunno, my best edumacated guess, I guess. I really don't know how the rim would get bent the way it was. I managed to straighten the rim on the 50 ton press at work. Now I am working on rotating the tires, since I wanted the better ones up front anyway. I'm hoping to have them all done over the weekend. I'll know then how it all worked out.

bimota

Replace the track bar on front axle. Easy job, $100 for parts. I'm trying to find an on-line supply now - anyone have the part number handy?

bimota

"Experts input on CUCV death wobble, front end violent shimmy - serious only" - new thread to get serious about this issue - real damage and injury can result - we need this solved by experts. I'm starting a new thread today.

bimota

Details on CUCV death wobble repair process

Ok, it appears that my recent post was deleted - see what happens when some of you start swearing at me, let's keep it to the learning - regardless of how much you want to swear.

Key lessons learned on my M1031 death wobble:
1. A kit with new king pin springs is a good first step - this is a 30 minute job and the kit I bought was $28. Attached are photos of the "good" springs I apparently had - see the difference yourself.
2. Steering dampener - change that - one suggestion is the Moog SSD84 SteeringDamper at less than $60.
3. Front wheels balanced well - some have gone as far as beeds inside the wheel to get dynamic balancing.
4. Alignment and shocks - not sure these contribute but good practice anyway.
5. Check frame for racks - least likely and most problematic.

Most shops no longer have the skills for these front ends and they will cost you money - If you have money then take it to the shop. Otherwise follow above.
I'll be reporting back soon with results.

Attachments

Hooper

My truck has developed wobbly wheel syndrome, or as some say...death wobble. At 35 mph I get so much wobble that I can't even hold the steering wheel, moves about 2" either way. So OK, I figure maybe tie rod ends, king pins or wheel bearings. I found some play in the king pin (.020 up and down, that is .006 out of spec), wheel bearings good (minimally loose) tie rod ends good and tight, steering box not too bad. So I replace king pin bushings and repack and snug up bearings, checked for bent rim....yes. I made a jig to use my dial indicator to measure the bend after "sledgehammering" the steel into submission. I got the total runout on the rim (not mounted to the truck) to .010. I THOUGHT this would have solved the problem.....nope, still wobbles. I am running 16x20 Mich's with tubes. Could the tube be "shifted" in the rim, or could the tire hve a bad belt as some passenger car tires get? Even though the tires are directional, I am thinking of switching them left to right just to see if the wobble follows the tire. Any thoughts may or may not be helpful, but are definately appreciated.

What about a bad shock causing a wheel to hop?

bimota

Sorry, my post was meant for a CUCV suffering death wobble - not sure on a Deuce - BUT I did notice you did not change the king pin spring - just the bushings - at least that was not specified. On the CUCV heavies - the key appears to be king pin springs, tire balance and steering dampener. In that order.