• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won 2 MEP-002As--my first

PA GasPasser

...at Letterkenny Army Depot. I was able to preview them, so I know they weren't missing anything major. However, without fluids you can't do more than look.

Anybody else here win some Monday? I'm not sure when I'm going to recover them. Maybe next Friday or the following Wednesday. If anybody wants to meet, PM me.

Now, a few questions for those who have done this before.

Does tailgate loading mean that? They can put it in or get it up high enough for me to back under or something of the like for it to get in my truck. Turns out the guy who will be loading it went to school with a coworker of mine and grew up not far from where I live. He let me take a good while to look them over, but I didn't question him much about the loading part.

Dimension-wise they will (both) easily fit in the bed of my 2500 Dodge. But---there's always a but--some of the weight will rest on the tailgate. Less than half of the genset by my measurements.

Has anyone done this? I figure one genset can slide in between the wheel wells and the second one can set perpendicular to that at the rear of the bed. I have more than enough of the appropriate slings, chains, cables, etc to lift and secure the load. (I used to run/haul heavy equip, so securing a load, I'm used to)

As a back up plan, I do have access to a flatbed car trailer. And I have more than enough truck to pull--and stop--the trailer.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks,

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Take the trailer.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
By all means, take the trailer too. Maybe put one in the truck, and one on the trailer. Then you won't be crowded. They wern't stingy with the cast iron, when they made those.

rickf

1000 lbs. each, you don't want to hang it on the gate. One of my gate cables broke the other day with nothing on it! Nice thing about these is they have a lifting eye so they lift level.

Rick

DieselBob

I rented a tilt deck trailer for around 35~40 bucks and was a good deal. Made it real easy to load both my generators and when I was back home all I had to do was tilt the deck and slid them right out. 2cents

PA GasPasser

Guess that was easy. I'll be dragin a wagon to Letterkenny! With all the farm equipment, I won't have to worry about the unloading part--that's why God made CAT equipment :)

Too bad I'm heading downrange soon. The only reason I bid on these was the fact I didn't need an EUC. The folks at GL said to wait until I got home to buy anything needing one, so I'll dig into these when I get back. I have the TMs on disk and some background experience as a 52D. Sounds like a nice winter project!

storeman

Good luck down range. Having spent 30+ years on active duty, I just can't fathom the optempo you are experiencing these past years. Thank you for your service.
Jerry

PA GasPasser

Thanks Storeman! And Thank You for your service! I'll be at 27 years when I get back. I'm in the Medical Corps now and I have nothing to complain about compared to guys like my soon-to-be son-in-law in the 82nd ABN.

I really wanted to come down and check your gensets out, but I don't have the time to run that far. I'm not sure that SWMBO &I will have time for any vacation this year. Buying these was more of a gamble to be sure, but with the knowledge on this site, I think it'll work out.

I saw mention on another thread about getting batteries at NAPA. If I take all the part numbers fm the TMs to NAPA will they be able to cross reference them for me? I may try to put fluids & filters in them and see what happens when I try to start them before I leave.

Thanks!

storeman

I buy Interstate SP22NF batteries on the 002a. Relatively inexpensive, about $75. I have an interstate account from my now defunct tackle and marine store. I did a lot of digging to find this model battery and the VA Beach Interstate distributor had to order it. When I requested 2, they only had one on hand, and they cover all of eastern VA and some of NC.

Good number to keep handy. It fits the brackets and seems to have enough oomph.

http://www.interstatebatteries.com/...9&Title=Pure+Lead+SP22NF+replacement++battery

Jerry

Last edited:

PA GasPasser

Finally Home!

Here they are still on the trailer. Recovery was easy. I was there 30 minutes max and that included chaining them down. The folks scheduled for their 0900 loadout showed up late and I was early for my 1000 appt. The GL Rep wasn't happy about that and loaded me first. I'm going to order batteries today and hopefully get filters this week too.

Isaac-1

On filters you might check Amazon, they have the Fram oil, fuel and air filters and they have free shipping on orders over $25

Ike

PA GasPasser

Thanks Speddmon!

Ike, I'll check that out.

I looked for the part numbers today in the TMs, and it's apparent it's been a while. I found lots of good info, but not one part number for that stuff. Are the part numbers in a thread here; or more importantly which TM are they in?

I figure I'll go with the stock parts now, and then get a spin-on kit when I get back from downrange, and have everything up and running.

I still have a lot of reading to do, especially the threads on making sure I have my house panels and transfer switch bonded properly--or the genset wired accordingly.

It's quite possible this will have to wait until I get back.

PA GasPasser

Duh (insert a big dope slap) I've read the wiki for other equipment trying to learn something before asking questions. I forgot to reference that. Oh well, at least I spent some time going through the TMs. Never a bad thing.

Thanks!

PA GasPasser

It Runs!

Well, after putting in new batteries, filters, cleaning out the fuel tank and adding fresh fuel, I followed the -10 and it fired right up. 220 volts according to my meter. No real way to load test it right now, other than plugging in a bunch of electric heaters.

I did notice an oil leak. It's item #32 on page 128 (figure 38 ) of the 24P I downloaded from here. No way to get a wrench in there without taking more than a few items off. Oh well, that will have to be for next week. The rest of this week (and unfortunately the weekend) will be too busy for me to get at it. I'm just happy it fired up and put out voltage.

I found a 2404 (or whatever they call them now) dated May 2011. I really think this thing may only have 12 hours on it. The evidence is circumstantial, but the air cleaner I removed was a Donaldson--same as the air cleaner housing--and it was dated 5/86. The genset was delivered to the Army in 10/86. Even if it's not, the set is clean and running.

Now to get the other one running.

THANKS! to everyone here for their help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks