• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a civilian welder this week from a VA VDOT auction. Lincoln 250 AC/DC

storeman

Won this unit on a VA Dpt of Trans auction this week. Came from one of the stations they closed out when they went to contract ops. From the looks of it, seems to be in great condition. Hopefully can pick up next week and begin learning to weld. With auction premium and sales tax it was $236. No serial number provided so I don't know the age but from my reading on a welding site appears to be late 80s due to wheel color.

What say You?

Once I get it, will post better pictures and assess what needs to be done. From the lead covers on the terminals, I suspect rather well taken care of and light use.

Plan to use the #8 wire I'm replacing with #6 for my generators to power the 50 amp receptacle for this unit. Will be kept in the generator shed. Won't even need to move the #8 pvc conduit, just wire to a breaker in the main panel, add a receptacle in the shed, and do another conduit run to the shed for the #6.

Happy man!

Jerry

Lincoln arc welder 250-250.JPG

rickf

The older they are the better they are. The old units used very heavy windings and practically never go bad other than the power cord which is an easy fix.

iatractor

You got a bargain. When a customer asks me about upgrading their older welder like this for a newer one, I try my best to convince them the old machine is a better quality one than what they make today. Doesn't matter if it's miller or Lincoln, they have substituted circuit boards for heavy duty contactors and windings. Kind of like the m35 vs LMTV, might be easier to run, but to keep in operation the older ones can take a licking and keep on ticking.

truck1

Can't beat a good ole 'buzz box' ! If you know how to use it you can produce great welds. Great machine for heavier duty applications. When I worked the Fireboat in S.F. ,the engineer did some incredible work with an old Dayton 250 amp buzz box. It is definitely an art using those machines.

bigboy44

I still use a old Miller Dialarc that I found in the trash in the early 70's. I brought it to a shop and had it checked out and repaired for little of nothing and it has never seen a repair since. Great machine.

Ray70

Nice score Jerry! Can't wait to see more pics once you get it in your possession. You guys are luck to live close to GL sites, up here in RI they very seldom auction off anything good that is near by.... I always have to drive 7 hours or more each way.... cause I'm too cheap to ship stuff! Anyway, good luck with it, you can't beat an old Buzz box, especially if you're doing heavy material outdoors. Migs are easy to use, but the slightest breeze and your (expensive) shielding gas gets blown away in the wind....

Ray70

Nice, thanks Jerry. I don't think I ever tried searching that site. Came across it once but never thought to keep checking back there.... looks like a few things right down the street from my house in the next town over!
Thank you... I now have another site to kill time at work....

storeman

Picked it up in Suffolk this morning (70 miles away). This thing is a horse! With cart and cables an easy 450 lbs. VDOT had it loose on a pallet and loaded it with a forklift. I just strapped it down through the lift eye and had no issues coming home. Once here, used the Kubota forks and a chain and lifted and carried it to my basement concrete patio (which is where I will weld, storing the welder in the generator shed. Haven't run power yet due to weather but thought I'd provide data and pictures.

Code is 9041C, Serial # is AC671855

Came with 25' cables which have no markings on them that I can read but are 1/2" diameter, so I guess #1. They and the clamps are in great shape. Power cord is 20' of SOW #8 3 wire.

Overall, the unit is in CHERRY condition, IMHO and with my very limited knowledge. My brother is a retired nuclear grade welder, pipe fitter and master plumber but is 700 miles away. He still actively welds. His advice was to blow it out as soon as I got it. First I took some pictures after cleaning up the exterior, then partiall disassembled it and blew and brushed it out.

Thanks in advance for all the advice I'll need in getting started and learning. I've been doing nothing for 3 days but reading posts and watching u-tube clips.

Honestly, this almost looks like it was bought then just put in a corner. Happy guy!
Jerry
IMG_2448.jpgIMG_2449.jpgIMG_2446.JPGIMG_2461.jpgIMG_2462.jpg

Last edited:

storeman

I don't understand why I can't upload multiple files at one time. Used to be able to do up to 10. Makes it one at a time now unless I'm doing something wrong.
Jerry

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure you know how it is wired.

If it's like mine(newer one) it can be wired for different voltages(internally).

I would just confirm how it is set up.

Ridgerunner

When they made that one, they didn't skimp on the copper. It was made to last. It'll out live you, and someone else will weld with it some day....

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Jerry, the one mistake most folks make when they start to weld is they try to travel too fast. You want to go slow and the weld "sound" should sound like frying bacon. There is many charts out there that will tell you a good starting point of how many amps of current to use while welding a certain thickness of steel. I'm sure your brother will give you all the info you need, but feel free to call if you have questions.

Oh yeah, don't weld galvanized steel(till you learn more), it can make you sick.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Jerry, check out "shop floor talk" and I'm sure you already found "weldingweb". They are very handy to have around, but now you will never throw out any of your scrap steel. Next you will be buying grinders by the case, watching out for lathes, and inspecting every weld you see.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks