• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a M85-100 today. Gary Caines, where are you

storeman

I recall reading some experience with the laundry unit, believe it was from Gary Caines, but can't find it. Now that I have won one, what advice on maximizing the investment? I'd like to keep the generator (about 70 hours) but want to know about resale value of the trailer and components.

Am having it transported from New Castle, DE to here in VA for $700 (part of the investment) I doubt I could have found a way to DYI for that price, even leaning on my local friends with enough pulling power and suitable trailer to haul that thing.

Jerry

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

storeman

You have to watch the video. Pictures showed nothing; a complaint I registered with GL. It is a laundry unit.
Jerry

Last edited:

Triple Jim

I'm interested in what you get too, Jerry. I looked at one of those at Fort Meade about 20 years ago, but I don't remember much about it.

Edit: I didn't even know there was a tab to watch a video. That's what the one I saw looked like alright. That should be fun to take along on camping trips. :-D

Last edited:

storeman

Jimc,

Bidding got a bit furious about 4:45. Spent about $400 more than I hoped to. Wifey is not happy this evening. She wasn't aware I was bidding until I showed her the video after closing.
"YOU EXPECT ME TO DO LAUNDRY IN THAT??? FOR THE TWO OF US???? WE HAVE 2 GENERATORS, WHY 3???

Jerry

Jimc

Lol tell her thats to do the laundry in when the power goes out. You can do the laundry for the neighborhood during outages and charge per load. Tell her its a money maker

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You will need alot of water to feed that washer unit. That is one of the main reasons Uncle Sam dumped them in favor of the LADS.

storeman

No intent to do laundry, only to try to part it out as intelligently a possible, save the genny, sell the trailer and (hopefully) recover my costs.
Jerry

storeman

Jimc and 3Jim,
I tried that. As those members who have been here can attest, she is a 6' redhead and I've shrunk to 5'10" and she is smarter than I. Stormy days ahead.
Jerry:not worthy:

Jimc

I certainly dont know but i would imagine the trailer and gen are the only things worth anything. The rest of it i cant see any use for other than scrap.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yeah, other than the trailer and genset, most will be scrapped. Let me know before you scrap stuff, I might want some odds and ends!

johnray13

Those commercial washers aren't cheap. Marketing it would be the hard part but you may be able to sell those to a dry cleaner/laundry business or even a hotel or small uniform business. If an owner had a dying unit that was causing costly down time, having a military grade unit ready to go and on the cheap might be a big appeal. If you could install it even better.
But like I said, the marketing is the hard part but it seems doable.

Good luck,
John

Triple Jim

Jimc and 3Jim,
I tried that. As those members who have been here can attest, she is a 6' redhead and I've shrunk to 5'10" and she is smarter than I. Stormy days ahead.
If she's bigger and smarter, what's that leave you? Meaner or richer maybe? Go with your strengths.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sent a PM to Gary. "glcaines" No response. Is he just "out of pocket"? Anyone had contact with him lately?
Jerry
Sorry, I didn't see your post. I've been working in Valencia, California and just got back. As I mentioned in my PM, I don't have any experience with the laundry units or that particular trailer. I do have an MEP-003A mounted on an M116A1 trailer and I love it. It has been very useful during power failures and minimal effort keeping it going. It powers the whole house during a power outage. I would think the trailer would be worth $2500.00 or more. and you already know about the MEPs. I would think it would be difficult to sell the laundry portion, but I could be wrong. Good luck with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks