• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a MEP-803A on a Trailer

Guyfang

Staff member
Wrong.

If you look at the front of any generator set manual you will notice that there are several different models. For instance, the 5 KW TQG MEP-802A 60 Hertz model AND the MEP-821A 400 hertz model. Order a volt regulator for a 400 hertz model and install it in a 60 hertz model and see what happens. Or an ammeter. There is two different kinds. The Usable On Code of EMH is for the 60 hertz model. Been there and did that.

Guyfang

Staff member
Guyfang, a list would definitely be nice. The gen doesn't look like it has any wet stacking going on but the plan is to give it a good test anyway. I wasn't sure how many hours to run it for a test so thanks. I figured around three or four would do it.

Gunny, when it wet stacks, you will see black oil, (kinda like thin tar) run down from the muffler where it bolts to the exhaust manifold. When its real bad, the exhaust outlet on top of the set will be caked with it, and often chunks of soot will fly out when it runs. Under a load, it will heat up the carbon and oil, causing it to get hard and brittle. When it flies out the exhaust, it will be at night, cherry red. Can start a fire.

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You must of missed my sarcasm in my last post. I ran a Tech Supply for an AD armored BDE for 2 years... I saw all sorts of "oppsies" like that. :)

Guyfang

Staff member
Sometimes you need to kick me, a wink aint good enough. Yeah, I bet you have seen some good ones. The best i saw was a generator that had not worked in 2 or 3 years. No one wanted to talk much about it, and it shows how the shop office can bring new meaning to "creative writing" 101. In any case, it turns out that the unit, (and it was a maintenance unit) had ordered a 416 volt, 400 hertz main gen instead of a 120 volt, 60 hertz. As the voltage and Frequency were too high for the set to read, it showed nothing on the meters. So it didn't produce voltage. I am glad no one ever touched the load terminals!!! The unit changed tens of thousands of dollars of parts. I found it after troubleshoots 2-3 hours. The name of the Unit and Master Tech LAR will forever remain a deep, dark secret.

Gunny65

That was a nice gen. Checked it out when I picked up mine. If your in the port orchard area I can help you get it running.
I picked it up today and drove back home. 18 hour round trip. I live in northern Idaho but thanks for the offer. Help is Always appreciated. Wish I was closer. I had no problems with the trailer at all. Hubs stayed cool and it tracked great. The tires are in great shape and did excellent. It snowed, mandatory chains , over snoqualme pass and the trailer did great in the snow. Now let's hope the generator is as good as the trailer. I'll start looking it over tomorrow.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a cabin a little North of Newport wa. Love that area. One of my men's will power it. Good luck. It is an excellent generator. And a great deal. Read up on the return fuel lines here and will solve your leaks. I will be doing a big write up on the process in the next month or so.

pclausen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is what my control box looks like for parallel gens. (But it is two mep802's)
I was under the impression that it was not a good idea to parallel the 802/3 units since they were not designed for it. Like if one unit dropped out, the other unit would keep pulling the engine over on the failed unit via the gen head and would probably kill it after a while. Does the control box you show deal with issues like that? I thought that both units had to be in perfect sync, which is very hard to do with mechanical governor's like these units have. I understand that you don't want to throw the switch except at the moment they are in sync (presumably when those "spare bulbs" are off, indicating no phase variance). But even then, I would think that without a mechanism to keep both units running at exactly 1800 rpm, the load would not be evenly distributed?

Anyways, looks like you got a great deal. Do show some pics of the unit once you get it up and running. I have gotten quite familiar with the 802s over the last year or so and also have a 003, which is a beast.

Korgoth1

I was under the impression that it was not a good idea to parallel the 802/3 units since they were not designed for it. Like if one unit dropped out, the other unit would keep pulling the engine over on the failed unit via the gen head and would probably kill it after a while. Does the control box you show deal with issues like that? I thought that both units had to be in perfect sync, which is very hard to do with mechanical governor's like these units have. I understand that you don't want to throw the switch except at the moment they are in sync (presumably when those "spare bulbs" are off, indicating no phase variance). But even then, I would think that without a mechanism to keep both units running at exactly 1800 rpm, the load would not be evenly distributed?

Anyways, looks like you got a great deal. Do show some pics of the unit once you get it up and running. I have gotten quite familiar with the 802s over the last year or so and also have a 003, which is a beast.
I believe the syncro box, in this situation, is only to "swap" generators without power interruption to perform maintenance.

And you are right, the "utility" units don't have the setup for parallel operation.

Last edited:

Plane Fast

To be honest. I have had these gens for 8 months and I'm just now getting to them. I looked over the TM a while back, and I do remember it would tell you when both gens are in phase. It's supposed to let you use 10,000 watts. Although Im just getting into these. I could be remembering wrong. I started with the front one first and replaced the rubber lines and filters. Pulled the exhaust and looked down into the ports for any sigh of water. All good.

Guyfang

Staff member
Its ok to parallel the sets, that's why the sectorization gear is on the trailer. But it's meant to let you switch the load from one set to the other so you can shut one down for maintenance and so forth.

lonesouth

Guy, will the sync box output the parallel power, or just indicate sync and put one set online at a time?

if just sync, then we would need to take the power directly from the set and combine first, then send to the load, correct?

I read through the TM and there was no mention of parallel, just transfer.

Guyfang

Staff member
The sync box allows you to parallel the sets, and then drop one off line so you can work on it. It will not allow you to use both sets output at one time. Only allow you to sync one set to another and then drop one off line.

The way it works is so:

Set One is on line.
Start up the second set.
Put the output circuit breaker on set two in the ON position.
Watch the sync/parallel lights.
Adjust the freq output on set two until the sync/parallel lights are in the right mode, then turn the large switch to the second gen set position.
Wah-La, the second set carries the load, and you can turn off the first set.

Having said this, there are SOME trailers that do both functions. Allow you to switch loads, and or COMBINE the outputs. got to look at the books to know what yours will do. Post a picture of the output and sync box. Lets see if it an old type, or new.

Firebrand

So how did the startup go?? Keep the red dyed diesel for your toys and avoid a bill from The Man. My trucking neighbors tell me the fines start in the thousands of dollars.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks