• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won a MEP-803A with trailer at auction - but how long will it take to get home?

steelydan

Hi,

I was the winning bidder of a combo MEP-803A on a NSN 2330-01-387-5424 trailer. I read the TM on the trailer (http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-2330-392-14-and-P.pdf) and it says its top road speed is 55 MPH. Is that really the fastest I should drive with it, or is that only if the trailer cargo weight is maxed out?
I want to respect the trailer's max, but also don't want to drive for days to get it home.
How fast have any of you trailered this setup?

TIA

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The speed limit here, 75 MPH just make sure your wheel bearings have been serviced and tires are in good condition with proper inflation which is around 16-20psi for a M1101/2

JRM

Mine came with 0psi in the tires, fired up the 803 plugged in my compressor and aired them up to 30psi and held 65-70 the 1000 miles home without a issue, these are rock solid with zero sway with the pintel at the high setting! just make sure the parking brakes are fully released :)

IMG_20160311_164240.jpgIMG_0062.jpg

Last edited:

FloridaAKM

JRM has your answer in a post, pull it as fast as you feel safe, but watch the axles for the first hundred miles for heat buildup from too tight an axle bearing or dragging brakes. It is a piece of military equipment & it not designed to be pulled down the highway @ 85 mph, so get up early, arrive on time, fully checkout the trailer & take her home. You want to get her & you home in one piece, so don't rush it. It is an experience, not a race.

After you get her home, now you have to get her running, but that is another story for another day. At least you won her @ the auction, I have not been that lucky, yet!

Guyfang

Staff member
Hi,

I was the winning bidder of a combo MEP-803A on a NSN 2330-01-387-5424 trailer. I read the TM on the trailer (http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-9-2330-392-14-and-P.pdf) and it says its top road speed is 55 MPH. Is that really the fastest I should drive with it, or is that only if the trailer cargo weight is maxed out?
I want to respect the trailer's max, but also don't want to drive for days to get it home.
How fast have any of you trailered this setup?

TIA
The TM in Liberated manuals is short one change. If you want to have the latest update of the TM 9-2330-392-14&P, go to the Trailer TM section, of the Technical Manuals Forum, last page, last entry, TM's for Trailers. The updated TM is almost the last entry on the list.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The condition of the tires will be a big factor in top speed . Are they weather checked ? Have they been sitting flat ?
Do you have a spare to take?

steelydan

Mine came with 0psi in the tires, fired up the 803 plugged in my compressor and aired them up to 30psi and held 65-70 the 1000 miles home without a issue, these are rock solid with zero sway with the pintel at the high setting! just make sure the parking brakes are fully released :)

View attachment 678333View attachment 678334
I brought a spare tire and compressor. And basically every tool I own - just in case. LOL.

steelydan

Thanks

Thanks for all the replies. I think I'm now confident that I can keep it around 65-70 based on the condition when I see it tomorrow AM.

I'm in the hotel after a 9 hour drive. It was a good long distance burn-in for my new pickup truck.
Now I'm saying a prayer that the generator is the one I bought in the pics (I went with GP instead of GL, so I feel confident). I just hope I get myself and the generator home in one piece. Going to be a long day tomorrow!

Daybreak

2 Star Admiral
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Howdy,
OK, some other insights.
It will depend also what the conditions is of the bearings.
Military trailers = 24 volt system. Somewhere around 2007-2008 the trailers started to have LED lights. Works with 12v and 24v. Some still had incandescent lights in the rear. Look over what year and type of trailer. You can cobble together a 4 pin wiring to your vehicle. The easiest is a set of tow lights. Bring zip ties to strap to a aluminum trailer.
Tires = it depends on what style is mounted. Look at the fender, it should have a air pressure painted for that tire setup. Some are standard and some have the run-flat installed. If it says 17psi, you can put it to 20psi for a nice ride home. If it says 35psi, you can put 39-40 for a nice ride home.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...102-LTT-TQG-any-newer-aluminum-trailer-height
You do not say what year etc...
Remember, they have surge brakes. Backing up does not always work the way you want. (hill, curb)

Some units need a extra link of chain etc... for the safety chains to reach.
After your hooked up and ready, drive a mile down the road and double check stuff again. After a few miles along, pull over the feel your axle hubs.. Oh, make sure the parking brakes are fully released.

Light bulbs and civi crosses are in the trailer section.

good luck with your recovery.

steelydan

Howdy,
OK, some other insights.
It will depend also what the conditions is of the bearings.
Military trailers = 24 volt system. Somewhere around 2007-2008 the trailers started to have LED lights. Works with 12v and 24v. Some still had incandescent lights in the rear. Look over what year and type of trailer. You can cobble together a 4 pin wiring to your vehicle. The easiest is a set of tow lights. Bring zip ties to strap to a aluminum trailer.
Tires = it depends on what style is mounted. Look at the fender, it should have a air pressure painted for that tire setup. Some are standard and some have the run-flat installed. If it says 17psi, you can put it to 20psi for a nice ride home. If it says 35psi, you can put 39-40 for a nice ride home.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...102-LTT-TQG-any-newer-aluminum-trailer-height
You do not say what year etc...
Remember, they have surge brakes. Backing up does not always work the way you want. (hill, curb)

Some units need a extra link of chain etc... for the safety chains to reach.
After your hooked up and ready, drive a mile down the road and double check stuff again. After a few miles along, pull over the feel your axle hubs.. Oh, make sure the parking brakes are fully released.

Light bulbs and civi crosses are in the trailer section.

good luck with your recovery.
It's a 2007. I brought duct tape, zip ties, and an HF magnetic LED trailer light kit.
I'm leaving the hotel now to get it. Thanks again.

JRM

my mag lights stuck to to the main frame of the trailer ok, see picts. My units tires are a 2005 out in the barstow sun and were totally perfect.... i even sold them for $400 on craigslist and bolted a set of my old dodge wheels on it to lower it down a tad :)

steelydan

Made it home after 10 hours. I kept it between 65 and 70 and had no problems at all. Only mistake was going through New York City instead of PA.
I have to say, the GP/IP guys down in Chambersburg really have their act together. I pulled in and there were two other folks waiting to pick up. They had their stuff in 5 minutes, I had mine in 10. Easy as pie.

I was thinking of doing a write-up for anyone who's never done a pick-up like this before. Everything from what to take, where to stay and how to get it ready for towing home. Is that old news or would that be useful?

NEIOWA

1. If you're driving a pickup what if your big hurry? Want to drive 75 get a Vett/Mustang/_____

You're dragging a trailer what is your big hurry? Desperate to be the 1st one at the scene of the accident?

Your dragging a military trailer which has been sitting 99% of it's life on tires that are NOT rated for Interstate Highway speeds. What is your hurry?

JRM

I agree fully, take your time and have some fun with the 803 pickup--- but even my 80yr old father told me to F'n hammer down before I get ran over when pulling our travel trailer threw Idaho, locals at fuel stops said the min speed is 70 :) I joked about old dodge 12v's with 4:10 rear ends cannot even go that fast before the pump de-fuels before redline.

I-84 Idaho.jpg

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Made it home after 10 hours. I kept it between 65 and 70 and had no problems at all. Only mistake was going through New York City instead of PA.
I have to say, the GP/IP guys down in Chambersburg really have their act together. I pulled in and there were two other folks waiting to pick up. They had their stuff in 5 minutes, I had mine in 10. Easy as pie.

I was thinking of doing a write-up for anyone who's never done a pick-up like this before. Everything from what to take, where to stay and how to get it ready for towing home. Is that old news or would that be useful?
I think that's an excellent idea.

FloridaAKM

Glad to hear you made it with no problems, you were in a big hurry, but murphy was somewhere else.....leaving you alone for the entire trip. Pictures of the trip & of the Genset are now in order.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks