• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won an M109 today (Pick up underway 10 OCT)

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Well the LORD was helping me again today as it came in under my top auto-bid. It seamed to be one of the nicer ones at Anneville PA

let me know what you think.

Oh yeah final bid was $2449.00

I am going to make this one into the ultimate camper overnight run truck

Question does that look like the light plug hanging down in the cab shot? Any guesses why it would be like that on a runner?

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Won an M109 today

Looks good to me! Glad you won it. A road trip truck, I like that idea!

Wolf.Dose

The cable hanging down is the connector to to direction indicator switch/ hassard monted to the steering column. Else a nice truck. Keep it roling.
Wolf from Germany

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Reading the thread about running on used motor oil got me thinking that if I haul the old water trailer behind it after I convert it to a biodiesel/ Cleaned Used oil trailer I could do some long trips at low cost. I will have to pick up a turn signal switch because I totally missed that until I posted the pictures this morning.

Wolf.Dose

Why you want to use biodiesel? Any electric transformer station cooling oil also will work as well on these old stile Diesel engines (not siutable for common rail systems). Usually the electric companys are happy to get rid of the stuff for little or no money. Do not forget to make it thinner with diesel fuel or JP5 (if you like the smell).
If you use biodiesel, your oil change intervalls have to be cut to one third of the normal changing mileage interval. You should install a fuel heating device, especially in areas with low temperatures and the visiable smoke will increase by about 10 to 15 %.
Used motor oil has (like any motor oil) a higher cetan number than any available diesel fuel. But the wear and metal debris from the engines will harm your engine (no matter weather of a gas or diesel engine). So used motor oil must go thru a very good filter to get all the debris out!

nf6x

Feral Engineer
Congratulations! I see that it appears to have the correct boarding ladder stowed inside... and I hope that it will still be there when you pick it up, since those can be hard to find. I see that your truck has the ether start kit instead of the flame heater, and I also agree that the cable hanging down goes to the missing turn signal switch. I also notice a step added to the front bumper, which will make it easier to climb into the engine compartment. Your truck looks very nice in the pictures, and if it runs as good as it looks, then I'd say that you got a very good deal!

In case this is your first shop van, I have some suggestions: Lower the blackout panels before towing or driving it home, because the latches are cheesy when new, and if they are bent out of shape and the panels are raised, then the panels like to fly off on the freeway. If there's enough friction there to hold the panels a few inches above being all the way down, then they will also help keep the windows shut until you have a chance to check them out... the wood frames like to dry out, shrink and pull out of the metal crimps, and then the window might come apart on the road. Even if they don't come apart, the wood shrinkage issue can make the outer frame loose enough to not stay against the van body tightly enough, and this leaves a gap that lets the blackout panels slide down and off the truck while its on the road. Hopefully yours will all be fine, but do take a good look at them before you trust them.

Looking at your truck list, your new shop van won't get lonely in your yard! :)

PaFarmer

Nice truck. I just bought the same type truck from Annville today. I plan the same use you proposed. I'll be sure to post pics of the buildup, please do the same.

LibertyDeuce

Won an M109 today

David
As an owner of an M109 like yourself now, you hit a home run. I was watching this truck out of curiosity. It's a SWEET truck - your going to love it. I think, if you look closely you don't don't have a turn signal on the steering column. It may be the connecting cable to the signal itself. Any how enjoy your new toy
[thumbzup]

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial

I will tell my son to take a roll of hundred mile an hour tape with hm when he picks it up to drive it home. Anyone close to Anneville that can look at this?

Thanks

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Won an M109 today

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus said:
Also the truck is listed as having a LDT 465 1D.

Is that a whistler or a non whistler?
It does not matter what numbers the motor is, you need to see the turbo to say which one it is. I can't see it in the pics posted.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
RE: Re: RE: Won an M109 today

I know that is the hard part buying it as truck runs and not seeing the turbo. Funny how they took 30 pictures of the duece dump truck. I am hoping someone that is near there can go by and check it out. I will be calling the site tomorrow morning.

Anyone have an NOS turn signal switch you want to get rid of?

Thanks Eric

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: Won an M109 today

LibertyDeuce said:
David

A "1D" is a non-whistler.
"1D" does not have anything to do with the turbo. It is the engine design designation.

nf6x

Feral Engineer

Some more observations:

* It doesn't have the van body heater option, and I don't see signs of the kit having been installed and then removed.

* I don't see signs of a cab heater kit, yet it has the clean air scoop on the left engine compartment door. Of course, the door could have easily been swapped out from another truck any time in the past.

* Air-shift front drive.

* Dang, it looks nice in the pictures! ;)

I'm looking forward to seeing how you outfit the van body.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks