• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won My First GL Genset Trailer

b2948kevin

Hey guys, I just won my first GL auction, and my first military Gensets. I feel like I got a good deal at $720 for 2x MEP701a generators mounted on the M116 trailer. I have bows, but no tarp, and there are 290/446 hours on the generators. See link below.

Any best practices or advice from some more experienced members on these sets?

Also, I don't think there's a requirement for an EUC on this set (checking on this now), so I think I can pick it up fairly quickly. I am in Seattle and will have to schedule the trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

hwcurtice

Nice little road trip.

Somewhere, someone mentioned what the circle and 'X' mean on these.

I also thought the m116 was closer to 1.5 ton capacity.

So, whatcha towing it with?

b2948kevin

Thanks for the reply, Harold.

Nope, the M116 is a 3/4 ton trailer. I plan to tow it with my 07 Toy 4Runner. It's rated to tow 5k LBS, and the lot weight is listed at 3160. It's also an A2, so it has the surge brakes which puts my mind to rest. I'll definitely be bringing tools to adjust as necessary.

I'll look around to clarify the circle and X question.

b2948kevin

Hmm... I looked back at these and is looks like all of the gensets have the circle-X on them. You think this is just a liquidation of the busted units? Anyone have real world experience buying something with the circle-x?

Thx for the tip on the lights. I have a remote brake light setup that I'll bring. I've read that you can just switch the bulbs, and rewire the connector on these sometimes to work on a 12v system. True?

Tlauden

Hmm... I looked back at these and is looks like all of the gensets have the circle-X on them. You think this is just a liquidation of the busted units? Anyone have real world experience buying something with the circle-x?

Thx for the tip on the lights. I have a remote brake light setup that I'll bring. I've read that you can just switch the bulbs, and rewire the connector on these sometimes to work on a 12v system. True?

I dont see why not, 12v lights and plug = 12 volt system.

hwcurtice

I would go with the temp lights, myself. Considering NW weather, which can change every 5 minutes, I'd hate to be out rewiring something in the bright sun, only to be caught ina horizontal downpour a few minutes later.

Picture a windy day, okay?

Anyway, take the temp lights, make sure they work correctly first, and also be sure you have Zip ties to hold them down, because the magnets don't always hold them on well either.

Experience speaks here.... Mine didn't work right. They were wired wrong from the factory. And they would have slipped off the trailer, except I had them tied on.

Isaac-1

One more thing if you do go the magnetic base style temporary lights, I bought a set from Tractor Supply last year and had to end up lengthing the wires between the left and right light as they were only about 4 or 5ft long, which is good for a car in tow, but not much else. Some of these kits now come with a magnetic stick on LED light for the license plate, which would be good to have if towing at night.

Ike

The GL guy today said that the gen set seem to be the trailers with bad tires. But who knows. I took a compressor along today because I knew on tire was low...5psi.

You might want to take a pin to bypass the surge brake if the shock has gone bad.

b2948kevin

So, I made a (not so) quick trip to portland today to recover the generator trailer. Sgt. Roberts was really helpful and had a lot going on, so he got me out of there very efficiently. I brought my remote light setup which worked flawlessly, as well as my new pintle hitch that I picked up at Harbor Freight on clearance for ~$35.

I had noted on-site that the tires were pretty well dry-rotted but I thought I could get the trailer up a few exits to a used tire place that had the tire size I needed. I ended up getting a flat on the passenger side about 3 miles out of the base. I dropped the trailer, and went and grabbed a spare the the tire place made for me on the spot. I then brought the whole unit to the shop and purchased 2 used tires (~50% tread left) plus the spare in case something else came up on the way back. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful with the exception of the bewildered looks of other motorists as I passed.

I haven't had a chance to really play around with these units because it's currently snowing outside, but I'm reading the manuals now and making a list of supplies that I'll need.

Anyone know the part number on the batteries used? I checked and found that they have been completely removed from the gensets. I will probably find this in the manual, but if you have it handy, it may help me before I get there :). Any tips on what you've used as a substitute?

BTW, here are the links to the manuals that I'm using. I hope this helps someone in the future.

MEP-701a generators: http://igor.chudov.com/manuals/OtherGenerators/MEP-016B/062759.PDF

AN/MJQ-33 power plant trailer: http://128.205.126.49/images/PDF-Files/AN-MJQ-33-14-P.pdf

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldnt get too upset about a circle X marking.. It's the same as a big "DRMO" that gets painted on. Heck, even a Circle X'ed item on a 2404 or 5988-E isnt a big deal. But what do I know......

b2948kevin

Thanks emmado, I was a little worried, but I do also see these markings on nearly all of the lots, even those that work. I'm hoping that I lucked out, but time will tell.

I did a little more research on the battery that this unit is supposed to take. It wasn't in the manual anywhere, but online I see people saying that these require the 24 volt 4hn batteries. Below is a link to one that I found. No kidding when people say that these are spendy.

U.S. Battery-US 4HN

Isaac-1

Battery is a 24V 4HN (be aware there is also a 12V 4HN) they sometimes show up on ebay as new old stock dry, just add acid (this is how I bought mine, paid $5 or so to have the local battery shop add acid) I think I paid around $50 or so plus shipping a couple of years ago. Of course as it turned out the local battery shop had some in their back room that had been sitting for years that they would have sold me cheaper, just shows me for not shopping locally first. For testing purposes you can chain a couple of cheap lawn and garden 12V batteries together to get 24v, but they will not fit in the ASK cover.

Ike

ichudov

Congratulations with getting a generator set on trailer.

Also thanks for citing my website igor.chudov.com.

Two months ago, I became so pissed at PDF sellers of free manuals, that I created a new website: Free Military Army Manuals! (liberatedmanuals.com).

I have all army technical manuals there. They are all free, no ads, no nothing and no gotchas. Feel free to download and share. No restrictions, watermarks, no ads, fees etc.

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-6115-640-14-and-P.pdf

b2948kevin

Thanks for the info, Isaac. I'll definitely be shopping around for these.

Ichudov, thanks for the resource. Glad to have helped a member of the forum by the link, and I hope that this serves as a resource for those who come after me.

I'll update the string regarding the batteries and operational status on the gensets when I get there.

Isaac-1

One more word of warning if you do buy through ebay, etc. these batteries are very heavy for their size so shipping charges may be considerable. As I recall the 4HN weighed considerably more than the 2 lawn mower 12V batteries I used for initial testing combined. Think the weight of a typical car battery in a package about half the size.

Ike

rickf

Any 12 volt automotive battery will work, two in series. Just make up your own tie down and holders.

Rick

Last edited: