• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won't start after sitting for 24 hours

lostintexas

My M1009 has been in and out of the shop now for hard starts for the past month with a long list of replacements being done but I'm still at the same place. If the truck sits for more than a day it simply will not start. It turns over fast and strong, after replacing batteries and starter. Glow plugs were converted to manual before I got the truck but those have been replaced and they still test good. Temp doesn't seem to make any difference as today was mid 60's and it won't crank and it was in the 30's a few days ago and it fired right up. Each time the shop get it started again by bleeding the air from the lines which tells me a fuel issue or more specifically the fuel is leaking out or back into the tank after time. We've even taken the intake off and tightened the lines. So my question is which tech manual do I need to be reading and what else can it be:
injectors?
Injection pump?
Bad lines?

Any help is much appreciated, getting frustrated as I'm so over budget at this point and still don't have a running truck for more than a few days at a time.

Thanks

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
All rubber fuel lines are suspect.

Your fuel filter base(especially around the pressure sensor) may be suspect.

Your fuel tank sending unit tubes may be rusted outside or inside the tank.

Air can suck in, and fuel may not leak out(all this is under suction).

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would do a little search for FM100. This is an upgrade to the filter system. Read up on it and see if it's something you are interested in. The factory filter base is always a little suspect when you have symptoms you describe. As cabeza de perro indicated, all of those are suspect so each will require a little looking into.

lostintexas

Sorry guys. The truck already had a spin on filter on it before I got the truck and I forgot about that. I will still take a look at it. Thanks again everyone!

dependable

Also check if lift pump is working well. Just had a lift pump go bad myself.

To check if fuel lines are leaking, and also to backfill & prime new filter, use compressed air with air gun and tube, block fuel fill at tank with rag and apply air pressure. This is a good way to find leaks in system. Leaks will show up in positive air pressure conditions that would not show up with fuel pump vacuum.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks