• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

won't start need help

pryorfire48

I have a 53 M37 that blew a head gasket. I took it off and had it milled and replaced it with a new gasket. i also took this opportunity to clean and repaint everything on the drivers side. It's all back together and i can't get her to fire off.

1. checked voltage to distributor and have 25 volts
2. checked the gap and put it to .020
3. replaced the cap. the old one was pretty worn
4. checked voltage on both sides of coil and have 25 volts
to be done.
1. next is to double check top dead center and timing
2. need to check for spark at plug end.

Any other ideas?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
do you have spark at the plugs, are you getting fuel, also the right fireing order

pryorfire48

the sun is going down but checking for spark at the plugs is on the list to do tomorrow. see my original post of things to do next.

Looking for someone that is familiar with the distributor to tell me that the checks i did were correct or anything else i need to look at.

I believe this to be more of an electrical problem as the truck was running before i took it apart to fix the head gasket.

any thoughts

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
coil to disb SPARK WIRE, the one thah comes from the top of the coil to the center of the cap, also check roter

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
coil to disb SPARK WIRE, the one thah comes from the top of the coil to the center of the cap, also check roter
Sounds like he is running the waterproof dist, there is no such wire, it is a part of the cap. EDIT: I think 73m819 is refering to the spring wire.
I would unscrew the plug wires at the dist and crank the motor, you should see the spark jump around the towers as you crank it. If you have spark here and not at the plugs, you likely have damaged the plug wires in removing them.

Last edited:

pryorfire48

i changed the points and condenser and got a spark today. Still can't get her to fire off and run. I turn her over to top dead center and check the timing.

The piece that the points and condenser attach to turns almost a quarter of an inch in the housing. This really messes up the gap on the points. Are they all like this or is mine in bad shape?

Charlie 6

I am still not getting any spark to the spark plug, I'd pull the distributor put a new coil, rotor and condensor in. The points look good and I checked the gap, the distributor cap look good. The wire that runs at the bottom right side of the distributor is kinda of crappy but I don't have a replacement so i just taped it up. Also stuck some new plugs. The inside components under the plate did not look that great but seem to be all there. Anyone have any suggestions?

Digger09

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did u have the distributor out? I dont know about those engines but ive seen them put in 180 degrees out on other engines.

pryorfire48

checks to make

1. make sure your getting 24 volts plus to distributor.
2. check the cap contacts, make sure they are clean and no cracks
3. check the bug, again clean and inspect for damage or wear.
4. make sure the top is tightened all the way down.

I have a few parts at the house you can swap out with to try different things.

Charlie 6

The contacts looked good, I purchased a new contact from RAPCO but the hole was too small and it would not fit over the post, dumb question, how do i check to see if the distrib is getting 24 volts?

pryorfire48

24 volt

unhook the wire going to distributor
remove cap on distributor
turn ignition switch on
check with volt meter
reattach wire to distributor
remove cap and check voltage going to coil

Don't leave the switch on to long with the contacts closed. Do your checks and then turn it off.

Charlie 6

Thanks, for the info, I will check this out this weekend if weather is favorable, and let you know. This is the first time pulling the distributor and rebuilding did not fix the problem. I am guessing it is that wire that screws on to the bottom right of distributor. It is pretty worn out looking. Again thanks for the help.

Charlie 6

Took the distributor cap off and found the wire that runs from the coil to points was pinched by the the distributor cap, some tape and repositioned the wire and the m37 fired up. Thanks for all of helpfull tips.