• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wont Start

The Baron

Well my 1984 M1009 made it through its first year with no problems, but the streak ended today. The other day I was starting the truck and when I turned the key I heard a strange grinding noise with the starter but it started fine and I ignored it. Today I tried starting it again and when it started cranking I heard the grinding noise again, all the sudden it went silent. Now when I turn the key, besides the glow plugs, nothing happens and there is no noise. I checked the fuses and they're all good. Before I drop a couple hundred bucks on a new starter does anyone have any clue if the problem could be something else?

truck1

Sounds like a bad bendix gear not engaging properly or bad solenoid or both. New starter time I think.If it is original direct drive , have it rebuilt. I just bought a spare takeout off fleabay for 60$.Seller said it worked fine upon takeout. They are out there used, and personally I prefer OEM rebuilt.

RedneckMilenko

Locally there is a diesel shop that sells these starters for $103 and some change. They can be found on Ebay. I bought one about a year ago and haven't had any trouble since. I'd go ahead and do the Doghead relay modification wile you're at it, I did it at the same time I relpaced the starter and haven't had a single issue with it ether.Tthe modification cost me somewhere around $15.

RedneckMilenko

Diesel Care & Performance Inc. The doghead relay modification gets rid of the starter relay you currently have under your dash and replaces it with a much more reliable one. The original relay's poles stuck closed and ruined my starter in my M1009 one night so after buying a new starter I foud out about the modification. After this you will not be able to use the old relay type being as you have to cut off the harness but as I said, I haven't had any issues with it and you'll read post upon post on here that recomends that this modification is one of the 1st things to do when your first buy your M1009-08. The steps, part numbers, and all the information you need to do this is on a post on this site. It took me all of 10 minutes to do myself. It's worth the time and $15 so you don't burn up a starter.

The Baron

Wont Start (still)

Well my 1984 M1009 made it through its first year with no problems, but the streak ended today. The other day I was starting the truck and when I turned the key I heard a strange grinding noise with the starter but it started fine and I ignored it. Today I tried starting it again and when it started cranking I heard the grinding noise again, all the sudden it went silent. Now when I turn the key, besides the glow plugs, nothing happens and there is no noise. I checked the fuses and they're all good. Before I drop a couple hundred bucks on a new starter does anyone have any clue if the problem could be something else?

Well I pulled out my starter and took in to auto zone and napa to get it tested. Turns out the starters just fine. I'm not educated at all with electrics and have no idea where to go from here. Does anyone know what I should check next?

The Baron

Well I cleaned all or the connections and did the doghead relay modification. Low and behold the ignition seemed to work, however the engine didn't turn over. I'm hoping thats just because the fuel gauge is wrong and theres not enough in there to start or the new fuel filter I slapped in while I was pulling out the starter isn't letting fuel through. If it is the fuel filter did I install it wrong? All I did was pull off the old one and stuck on the new one. Is that incorrect?​

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your description does not make sense.

Low and behold the ignition seemed to work, however the engine didn't turn over. I'm hoping thats just because the fuel gauge is wrong and
How did you test the "ignition"?

Doesn't turn over? So, you think it needs fuel in the tank for the starter to engage?

Did you bleed the fuel filter housing after changing the filter? (I can't tell from your post if it even is turning over).

Are you using the tech manuals to do any of this work, or just winging it?

The Baron

What I meant was when I turned the key the starter engaged, however the engine did not start. It seemed to not be getting fuel. I use the tech manuals but I admit I couldn't find in them how to put in the fuel filter so I just put it on, which I'm pretty sure was wrong and stupid.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to bleed it now.

Pull the pink wire off the IP, then crank with the plastic bleeder screw opened(on the top of the filter base).

When you get good fuel/no air, close it.

Reinstall the wire.

Fire it up.

Or, search for Fuel filter bleed, in the cucv forum. One member posted a nice youtube video.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And if you want to use the TM, you need to look in the -20.

TM 9-2320-289-20

3-17. FUEL FILTER MAINTENANCE.

This task covers: a. Removal c. Bleeding

b. Installation d. Drain Water From Fuel