• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

wont start

jmsneorrcom

drove my 84 CUCV all day, went to drive it tonight and it wont even turn over. tried to jump start it with negative results.
I am thinking it is the starter. any other thoughts or ideas? and any issues with replacing the starter.
thanks

BIG_RED

I agree, sounds like the starter could be the problem. Maybe check for power at the starter wires before pulling the starter, just incase it's the under dash starter relay. Do you hear any clicking or anything when you turn the key to "start"? (you might have to unhook your glowplug relay to eliminate all it's clicking sounds so you can hear the starter relay). If not, 4 pin relay under the dash on the drivers side above the round plug to the left of the ash tray could be the problem - might want to test it. (you take the round plug's mount off to get the relay off, the screws go through and hold a bunch of relays on - I'm sure you'll figure it out).

Only issues with replacing the starter are 1. make sure you put the bolt shims on the new starter exactly as they were on the old one (just be mindful of what you take off and where it came from, as usual). and 2. make sure you put the bracket that goes on the end of the starter furthest from the flywheel back on the way you found it. (2 bolts into engine blot, one smaller one into starter if i remember correctly). If you don't put this bracket back properly, the starter wobbles around and busts it's bolts off after a while.

Good Luck!

P.s. ignition switch is on top of the steering column under the dash. That could be your problem too.

Barrman

Starters normally give some warning before they go. Pull your battery terminals, clean them and put them back on. If you still get nothing, turn on your headilghts. If the lights don't dim at all when you try, then the power isn't getting to the starter. Do the starter relay check and follow the -20 procedures. If the lights go dim when you try and then come back. That leads to the starter or bad batteries.

Barrman

All the other lights are coming on and the volt meter is showing at least a high yellow charge with the key on?

The relay is $10-$20.

jmsneorrcom

all lights are coming on. voltmeter hasnt worked since I got it. do you think I should start with the relay? how do you tell if it is the relay or the starter itself?

Wolf.Dose

There is a little cable, we call here #51, which starts to activate the selenoind. Inside the cap the tiny wire is burned. The reason is , that during assembly this cable is twisted and weakend. And some day the stressed coper wire says good by. I had this three times. The starter is changed due to poor reliability since about 3 or four years. The old model starter is out. I found no more parts in the states, only the connection tho the new model, which is a one to one change, at least theoretical. The starter support must be adjusted a littel bit, every thing else fits.
Here a pic of the new starter.
Wolf

Attachments