• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Won't stop cranking, blown fuses, melted wires, lots of smoke... scratching head.

Disciple

I had a complicated problem with my M1008 a while back that I'm just now getting around to looking into. Haven't had any luck in the TM's or Forum.

Background: the starter relay has been removed and a push-button switch installed in its place, this has worked flawlessly for 2+ years. The GP relay resistor bank has been removed and rerouted 12v power to the GP Relay to the front battery with a stock wire w/ fusible link. This has also worked flawlessly for years. Also, and I'm sure this is pure coincidence, but still worth mentioning, that previous night was the first time that I had used a new magnetic engine block heater on the oil pan. I used an appropriately-sized, grounded extension cord to a 20-amp, grounded outlet in the garage. Other than this, nothing had changed and the truck had been working great as a daily driver for a long time.

The symptoms: Cold winter day (I said it has been a while), turned key forward, GP Relay clicks, Volt meter drops accordingly, WAIT light goes on, then off, depress accelerator pedal, push starter button. Motor cranked for about 20 seconds without firing, released the starter button, starter motor kept cranking! Turned key to "OFF" and removed key, still cranking. Frantically reached under dash and removed the leads to the starter button, still cranking! Popped the hood, ran to the saddle box, grabbed the tools. By the time I was able to disconnect the battery leads, the starter motor was smoking. I first disconnected the "+" from the front battery, then the "-". The starter motor stopped cranking, but then some of the wires along the upper part of the firewall near the distribution block next to the GP Relay began to melt and smoke. There was also smoke coming from the Driver's side Alternator. Fusible links popped and a small fire started along the firewall! I grabbed the fire extinguisher from the cab and put out the flames and disconnected the rear battery. Stood there in shock for 20 seconds to let the adrenaline die down and contemplate what had just happened. I had to get to work, so I closed the hood and went on with life. Massively cold and brutal winter kept me from looking into it until spring. I've had few chances to look into it since, but need to get this figured out and wrapped up now.

Progress: So far I have replaced the burnt wires and fusible links along the firewall, tested for continuity every wire I can find running along the firewall, to and from both batteries and alternators, checked resistance and continuity on all grounds, tested the proper function of the starter switch, and found a loose fuse in the fuse block, that when wiggled would make the Voltmeter in the dash come on or off. This is really strange because it is the #7. 30 amp Unmarked (Headlight) Fuse in the Unit Maintenance TM. I don't see how the Headlight fuse has anything to do with the Voltmeter when there is a separate fuse (#12) for the Voltmeter. I have also checked that all of the wires are properly connected and tight at the starter motor. Also, when everything is connected up and powered, if I turn the key forward to "run" and hit the starter button while the #7 fuse is "connected", the starter will crank (and not stop) and the fuse next to the GP Relay running to the driver's side alternator will blow and I have to disconnect both batteries fully. However, if I turn the key to "run", then wiggle the loose fuse (again, #7, supposed to be for "Headlights", the voltmeter and gauges in the dash die and there is no power to the starter, won't crank. Really strange. I don't see how they are connected.

My thoughts: 1: Problem with the starter motor solenoid, that might explain why the starter kept cranking, but I don't understand how that would make the wires on the firewall burn or cause the alternator to smoke.
2: Something, somewhere is shorted to ground, causing current to still flow through the wires on the firewall and back to the alternator when the
front battery was disconnected.
3: There is something wrong in the fuse panel, shorted, bad connection, connected incorrectly (previous owner), etc.
4: Multiple, unrelated issues at once?

I could really use some help here. I'm reaching the end of my troubleshooting abilities. I plan to bring in the starter to have it checked out, but again I don't see how a bad starter solenoid could cause all of these other issues. Any wisdom and experience would be greatly appreciated.

cpf240

My guess would be that the starter solenoid stuck in the engaged position, as you suspected. I don't think the block heater had anything at all to do with it.

The wires melted due to the heavy load put on the system. It is not designed to run the starter in a continuous fashion.

rickf

If you have not replaced the starter then I would say the starter solenoid is burnt. Cranking for 20 seconds is really too long and will heat things up pretty hot and probably welded the contacts in the solenoid. If it does not start in ten seconds or less of cranking then something is wrong, stop cranking. Are you still running a 24 volt starter? It sounds like you have converted to 12 volts and if you have then between that and the other mods you have made it is hard to give advice on what could be the problem without actually seeing it to be able to trace out the wires.

Rick

Disciple

Thanks for your input guys. I will get that starter pulled the next chance I get. Everything keeps pointing back to the solenoid. It was just confusing the heck out of me since I had so many other, seemingly unrelated issues at the same time.

Rickf, to answer your question, yes. The starter has been a recurring headache with this truck for some reason. I have had it replaced once and then the "new" one rebuilt twice already. I haven't done the full 12v conversion, the starter is still running on 24v. I haven't changed the stock battery/alternator setup. The first time I had to replace the starter was because the starter relay stuck in the "closed" position when I was going 50 mph down the road and fried the starter by the time I got the batteries disconnected. The next time was long after that and after a couple of long, harsh winters as a daily driver. It was just getting slow and tired so I had it rebuilt. It was good as new for quite a while, then the starter began having a tremendously annoying habit of snapping it's mounting bolts! This happened about 3 times and during one of those times I had the starter rebuilt AGAIN. I finally (fingers crossed) got that situation under control by ordering different bolts than the ones I had been getting from O'Reilly's. They CLAIMED that those bolts were Grade 8, stock replacements, but the torque of this starter would snap them like a twig with the threads (of course) still half-way in the block. New Grade 8's from ARP finally stopped the breakage, but not until after I was forced to use a Heli-Coil and about 13 gallons of Loc-Tite on the sucker. No bolt snapping issues since. I ordered spares just in case. I just hope that my Heli-Coil setup stays intact when I pull the starter yet again!

At least I'm getting really fast at replacing starters on this thing! Just so no one has to ask, yes, I was using the support bracket, it was tight. After the second time this happened I used shims (the mechanic who replaced the original starter the first time didn't use any!) and I'm confident that the issue was the Chinese "Grade 8" bolts from O'Reilly's because everything has been good until now.

Other than the fact that the 12v starters are more common and easier to replace, is there really much advantage to converting? If I were to do it, now would be the time. I suppose it would just make the whole system more simple (and therefore, hopefully more reliable). I suppose I should revisit this topic in the forums now since I have to get it rebuilt anyway.

southdave

You have crap starter relay look up dogheads relay in the wiki I think. ? But anyway rebuild starter, do the doghead thing if you keep 24 volts, replace the cable and wires.. it might help if mt 28 type starter wiegh alot less than the old type

MarcusOReallyus

Snapping bolts? Do you have the bracket on the starter?

By the way, that headlight fuse runs a bunch of other things. It's a bad design*. Once you have that loose socket fixed, find out what kind of amps that circuit is drawing. You might have other problems that are causing overheating on that circuit. Once you are sure that it's operating correctly, consider doing a headlight wiring upgrade. Some folks buy a kit from LMC truck that plugs into your existing headlight harness, and connects directly to a good 12v source. This then powers your headlights, and your existing headlight circuit just switches the relays in the new harness. This takes the headlight load off your 30 year old, underdesigned headlight circuit. Or you can wire in your own relays to do the same thing.

One last thing - I agree with Dave. Do the doghead mod!

*WARNING: Some folks are emotionally attached to these trucks, and are offended when I say that. It's still a bad design.

Last edited:

amphi

I first disconnected the "+" from the front battery, then the "-". The starter motor stopped cranking, but then some of the wires along the upper part of the firewall near the distribution block next to the GP Relay began to melt and smoke. There was also smoke coming from the Driver's side Alternator. Fusible links popped and a small fire started along the firewall! I grabbed the fire extinguisher from the cab and put out the flames and disconnected the rear battery.

My thoughts: 1: Problem with the starter motor solenoid, that might explain why the starter kept cranking, but I don't understand how that would make the wires on the firewall burn or cause the alternator to smoke.
2: Something, somewhere is shorted to ground, causing current to still flow through the wires on the firewall and back to the alternator when the
front battery was disconnected.

I could really use some help here.
The wires burned due to reverse current feedback from the rear battery.

If you had quiclky disconneted the rear battery negative instead of the front battery positive things would have been ok (theoredically).

See this thread about reverse current:

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...fter-Starter-Run-on-Explained-and-Illustrated

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks