• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Woo hoo new motor!!

DFD2010-A

Just won my first auction for a crate LDS motor on GL. Gimpy and I went up and looked her over, appears to be brand spanking new rebuilt in 85 (even had the tags still on it)...just wait for the EUC to clear and looks like time to do a little LDS swap. Anyone need and LDT motor????:p Here's a photo just for kicks of the deuce this morning after our first snow fall of the season.

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/view?id=3812184&convertTo=USD

Attachments

DUECE-COUPE

while you have the motor out, you should check the threads for info n the HF 54 power steering box up grade. you will have the pump from the front of the LDS, all you need is a 800 series 5 ton steering column and a little bit of wittlin and weldin on the frame and fan shroud to get yourself a great steering truck. i wish i could find me a LDS, i would be puttin it in my Bobber.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't be so quick to sell off the LDT. You have a can for it, store it. They aren't making any more and eventually the supply will dry up, it's already started. I would also be cautiously optomistic on your new engine. I can think of 2 new looking 6.5s that had some serious internal damage in them. Just take your time and look it over closely. Gimpster probably has a trashed engine you can borrow all of the stuff off of to convert it to the 2 1/2 layout in advance of the big swap. Canned engines are always an adventure.

JDToumanian

I would start it up right there in the can before I pulled my running engine.... You just never know. I bought a "brand new" looking transfer case, in a crate with fresh paint and tags on it, rebuilt at Tooele and it was complete junk. Noisy and popped out of gear the moment I drove off.

Note: Note from the seller in the classifieds, mine was older and from elsewhere.

Jon

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
That is the plan. No reason to waste any time on it if it isn't a runner. I WAS worried that sitting for SO long, it might be seized, but we found a bar and was able to spin it. I already told him I had the parts he needed to make it work in the deuce. Since this is his first EUC, how long ya think its gonna take? I bet he won't have it till the warm weather returns. :cool:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A note about groundhopping. A while back Gimpy obtained a number of HMMWV slave ports with short cables on them. We did some swapping and I ended up with a few or more. Fast forward to a malfunctioning starter on my cargo truck. I decided to open up some can motors to find a starter. Now I'm no idiot, I want to test these starters before I remove them. I took a slave port and bolted the hot wire to the solenoid and ground the other wire. No worky. After opening up the 3rd can I realize what has happened. Like a CUCV alternator, the ground is isolated so no citcuits were complete. Obviously I have more working starters than I thought. The HMMWV slave port needs the hole in the ground wire opened up just a bit but them work great for ground hopping.

DFD2010-A

Thanks guys, sent the EUC in today so now we play the waiting game! The truck is going up in the classifieds tonight btw, for anyone interested...starting a new project.

jesusgatos

Congratulations. I've got a fresh LDS in a crate too, waiting to be swapped into Mah Deuce. Good idea about starting it up in the crate. Think I might go ahead and just do that. Don't mean to be nosey, but what are rebuilt LDS engines going for these days? What about pulled/running LDT's?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks