• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wood Gasification

Sumoman

Ok this is a thread I am starting for the purpose of gathering ideas and SLOWLY posting a conversion to burning wood gas as a fuel in my MV.

Now Wood Gas (WG) has been used in the past two world wars as a viable fuel alternative for MV's, so i know it works. In addition I already have the calculations (thanks FEMA) for the size of the wood gasification unit needed to power my truck. This has never been the problem.

No what will be the issue is injecting enough oil to lube the engine during the burn. I cannot rely on my non-existent knowledge of engines, instead I am opening the thread to all ideas. If I can turn the fuel pump down using a switch (making the WG conversion on the fly) then great. If not I need to begin figuring out how I am going to maintain a flow of oil into the engine due to burning only a gas as the primary fuel source.

Again this works, but i would liken it to using only gasoline in the M35A2, the oil is needed to offset the harsh fuel. More then likely I will obtain a used / running engine and drag it through the dirt before experimenting on my truck. If anyone is interested in the plans to build a unit / Calculations PM me you email and I will send them to you. Ideas welcome. If you are interested I will be setting up brain storming sessions to first build a unit (can run a gas engine without a hitch) and then modify the M35A2.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sumo, there has been a thread on this subject matter. Could be some good info there, don't remember the thread title, could be "wood gas".

zb39

Sound interesting, I have heated my house the last 4 years with wood and an outside boiler.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm going to convert a deuce one day to a 'true' multifuel, Steam!!!;-)

Found a 200hp 1000rpm engine, and a boiler that will handle it and burn solids, liquids and gasses, just need to find the money to put it all together!:driver:

I have personally seen and ridden in an old school bus that had a wood gas generator mounted on the rear. I seem to remember it ran fine, and smelled like burned leather, or charcoal when running. (exhaust) It had a huge dodge 440 wedge engine in it. He had rigged up a cap that fit under the air cleaner and the carb, that 'injected' the gas. He would start it on regular gasoline and then switch over.

It was almost 18 years ago, and I don't know if the fella still lives around here or if he's even still alive. I know I have some photos somewhere, I maybe able to scan it.

I assume you are just hoping to 'inject' some oil to keep the top end lubed? If you run on nothing but WG than you could remove the fuel pump, lines and injectors totally.

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For a fuel delivery method, how about piping the gas into the intake to be burned with Diesel? You would use a lot less diesel.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks