• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wood species for racks

John S-B

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What about PRESSURE TREATED wood? Its Yellow pine which is harder than white pine and it's rot and termite resistant for 30 years.

Also it comes in green already! :jumpin::jumpin::jumpin:
Pressure treated wood MIGHT last 30 years if faithfully maintained. 1x lumber is typically full of knots and has a tendancy to twist, bow and warp. You might be able to sort through a stack and find enough decent ones to put on, but there's still no guarantee they won't shrink and crack. The money you save on cheaper lumber will be lost when you make additional trips to get replacement wood. And pine, treated or otherwise will not withstand heavy use.

I'm replacing mine, and I plan on using whatever oak Menard's has. (Red or White) Lowes doesn't stock anything over 10'. I'm going to tint some good quality primer the same as 24087, which is the color I'm painting the truck. I'd use walnut if I had 12' lengths, I've got a ton of it, but nothing longer than 8". Any of the other stuff like locust or Ipe (VERY hard to cut and drill) will be fine if you can find it and afford it.

JOEDEUCE

specialty wood source

I actually work for a specialty wood company..... We stock Ipe, white oak, red oak , cypress, walnut, heart pine , and countless other types of domestic and foreign wood species...if anybody in the richmond va, or surrounding areas needs contact info , just Pm me and I can give you the the information.

lawdog1623

Unless you are looking for an exact rebuild on the truck using original parts, I would go with the composite decking that you can buy from lowes or home depot. Its a mixture of wood and resins that help it resist cracking, warping, bowing and fading. I think this will probably give you the best performance and bang for your buck. I certainly dont want to have to keep retreating my troop seats. I did the cost comparison on this and hard wood several months ago and it was nearly the same when you factor in paints and such.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My first Deuce had all white oak for the troop seats and I replaced all the wood with red oak, it was almost half the price of the original white oak, and its all going to be painted anyway!
KK

DeucesWild11

Unless you are looking for an exact rebuild on the truck using original parts, I would go with the composite decking that you can buy from lowes or home depot. Its a mixture of wood and resins that help it resist cracking, warping, bowing and fading. I think this will probably give you the best performance and bang for your buck. I certainly dont want to have to keep retreating my troop seats. I did the cost comparison on this and hard wood several months ago and it was nearly the same when you factor in paints and such.
Arggh you beat me to it.. I was going to say the same thing, plus it's fairly easy to cut with a table saw... and I believe you can paint it just like wood too!

Heres an alternative hardwood that I deal with quite frequently....its spell Ipe....and pronounced as eepay.,, I will post more specs once I dig them up.
Never heard of Ipe wood before, checked it out, now I'm a believer. Got a good price from a local decking shop because I just needed short pieces. Used 5/4x6 pieces ripped them to 2.5" wide and I was good to go. Most importantly used the great diagram gringeltaube provided in a thread a couple years ago, http://www.steelsoldiers.com/deuce/59718-cargo-cover-stave-measurement.html.

Thanks to JoeDeuce and gringeltaube.

JOEDEUCE

wood

Hi oldschool, glad to hear that you were able to locate some Ipe for your rails.... Did the company recomend any wood treatment? I'm not sure if you plan to paint or stain your rails but if you plan to stain the wood, may I suggest ”Original Waterlox” , it will bring out the natural color of the Ipe wood..... Its awsome stuff. You can leave the wood ”as is” and it will be just fine..... If your curious I have a piece of Ipe handy, I can apply the ”original waterlox ” to a portion of the board and snap a pic and post it on this thread for comparison....

Last edited:

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Attachments

Hi oldschool, glad to hear that you were able to locate some Ipe for your rails.... Did the company recomend any wood treatment? I'm not sure if you plan to paint or stain your rails but if you plan to stain the wood, may I suggest ”Original Waterlox” , it will bring out the natural color of the Ipe wood..... Its awsome stuff. You can leave the wood ”as is” and it will be just fine..... If your curious I have a piece of Ipe handy, I can apply the ”original waterlox ” to a portion of the board and snap a pic and post it on this thread for comparison....
JoeDeuce - thanks for the offer, but no need. I trust your recommendation especially after picking up the Ipe... the board was about 36" long and it was like a piece of lead pipe. I'll be looking for the Waterlox this weekend as well as drilling bolt holes in the boards.

Plowboy - those boards came out nice, great find by your son. Ash was on my short list too.

Last edited:

JOEDEUCE

pics

Turns out I cant just post pics with my phone, if anyone is really in need of pictures, you can IM me and I can send them to you via text or email....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks