• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Wooden floor in M37

MatthewH

Jesse, Sorry to hear about that. I'm in the process of acquiring the parts to convert mine to a 6.2l, since its more budget friendly than a 4bt. Just got tired of buying parts for an engine I really didn't want in it anyways

pwrwagonfire

This is a great thread. I am going to do this to my M-37 after I have it on the road for awhile. I work in a local saw mill during the winter months, so I will be purchasing locally harvested white oak...

I'd LOVE to see more pictures of how you made it all go together...this is a great step-by-step thread for me to follow!

I'd say pull the engine and go Cumming 4bt
-T

Jesse19rap

Hi T,

I'm excited about how it will look as well. I think additional wood in the bed will tie in nicely with the troop seats/side slats.

*update: I have located my Cummins engine and ZF OD 5 spd tranny. I'm building motor mounts and swapping her over to 12 volt now.
I have the wood already, cut, planed and ready to be installed. BTW- Bob Horkey out of Minnesota is a small outfit that is a pleasure to deal with. They are able to cut the slide rails to length and punch carriage bolt holes (if you think your accurate enough with your design). I have everything ready to go but the motor swap in now priority #1. Once she can move under her own power again i will get back to the wood work.

Tuko

If you could document your 4bt conversion mostly how it's mounted and how it mates up with the transfer case that would be awesome! also how the pedals will work with the clutch and brakes. A diesel conversion is next on my to do list with the M

Jesse19rap

Tuko,

So far I am using a 4bt Cummins mated with a diesel ZF5-42(5 spd w/ OD)- This tranny was bolted to a Powerstroke 350 4x2 Ford. It calls for the FordCummins adapter plate ($600). I was given the tranny so I decided to make it work rather find a Gas model. The ZF attached to the Gas engines have a smaller bell housing and will bolt right up to the Cummins without the additional adapter plate. We are in the process of making motor mounts that will allow us to use the front stock mounting brackets. The ZF is so stocky that we can use the stock transfercase in its original location, which was a major selling point! After jockeying the engine/tranny combination around we have almost a straight shot into the transfercase. I thought we may need to have a custom shaft produced but that is not the case. If you grind the tabs that hold the caps on the universal you can use the stock yoke! As she sits there is at least 3 inches of shaft in both yokes! I have not decided on how i will configure the clutch/pedals just yet. The biggest customization so far will be cutting the oil pan to clear the axle. Some guys put 1-1 1/2" blocks on the axles to gain the space but I do not want to add to the already huge wheel gap.

As for axles I am exploring using Toyota FJ45 or 60 axles. Pros: you gain better gearing (411) and disc brakes up front right off the bat. They are either 55 or 58" wide hub to hub and should allow for nice big tires to fill in the awful wheel gap without being wider than stock. My reasoning for going this route is that Toyota has a huge aftermarket world so sourcing parts and rear disk brake kits will be easy. Con: gotta figure out how to convert the steering. Ideally power steering will be an option. I am in no way a professional mechanic so feel free to comment on my thinking. Any thoughts/insights will be much appreciated.

Tuko

That's sounding like a good plan so far! I was thinking a 2wd nv4500 so I could use factory dodge adapter plates. Still don't know about the clutch will have to poke around some for an answer on that

Jesse19rap

I can't take all the credit here. The guys here and over at the M37 only site, g741.org have been more than helpful, its a great community. I've modeled my powertrain after Cabell Garbee's truck. Google his truck, he has a TON of info and has been super helpful as i work through this project! I will post more info and maybe some pics as i go. Pics are hard to take while you're elbow deep in diesel grease and grime, lol!

Jesse19rap

Fitting the cummins with front motor mounts

Hi Guys,

Here are a couple more steps toward installing a Cummins into my M37.

1st pic: is of my front motor mounts. By putting the slight curve on them I was able to use the stock frame mounts thus putting the weight where it was originally intended.

2nd pic is the first fitting of the 4bt into the ol'girl. Notice the front of engine is sitting on original mounts while i mocked up mounts

3rd pic is a view from afar

Motor mounts.jpgCummins fitting 2.jpgCummins fitting.jpg

I think i will keep a small synopsis below of my build as I encounter challenges
Powertrain combination- 4bt Cummins- Diesel ZF transmission- Stock Dodge clutch from a 2001 2500 5spd- Destroked adapter plate because i used a FREE diesel ZF than the recommended gas jobber, gas job apparently will bolt up without plate

What I learned last weekend:

If you carefully break apart the universal it is possible to use the stock yoke (must grind two tabs off that are intended to hold the caps on) but otherwise they slide right together with a good 2 inches per side!!

Don't bother going to Napa or Advance to source a new pilot bearing or starter its a nightmare despite knowing all of the donor vehicles stats. The Donor Clutch went to a larger transmission shaft so you must find something with a smaller inner diameter. Save yourself some grief and order this bearing directly from Destroked along with the 6.0 Ford starter. They have not come in yet. I will update with fitment quality.

I somehow hijacked my own thread...... I will get back to the wooden bed floor once she can move under her own power

Jesse19rap

I don't have a spare tire at the moment, but it will eventually go back there if it works with the troop seats. The troop seats aren't in the picture but they will be done in black walnut as well. Lastly, i plan to stain the tools on the pioneer kit to match

fasttruck

Various parts houses catering to those who restore old picvk-ups sell the metal strips that hold the wood down in both plain and stainless steel.

nattieleather

Great project. Just one question. How long from when you cut the boards to staining and sealing took place? Did the wood have time to dry and shrink? More pictures please.

Jesse19rap

The wood cured in our barn for about 3 years. Black Walnut is simply beautiful once varnished. I will have more pictures this weekend. A few friends and I will be in the Pittsburgh Veterans day parade Saturday