• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Woodland Paint Job Finished

tx399999

Finally, after filling my days off for the last three weeks and a few cases of rattle cans, mah deuce is painted. It started when I saw a little more surface rust on my winch chain than I was comfortable with. I set out to repaint my front bumper and got carried away. By the end of the day I had the whole truck painted with a fresh coat of OD and had stencils made. It was looking so good that I had to keep going. I bought some fiberglass troop seats a while back, but the headache racks and headboard were still wood and rotted through. One of these days I'll get fiberglass slats all around, but for now I rebuilt them with wood. To finish off I went with the woodland pattern paint job. After the Army took away my BDUs and handed me ACUs I never recovered, so the woodland pattern makes me feel better.

Attachments

tx399999

I think the base coat of OD took about 12 cans, then 6 black, and 3 brown. I ended up getting three cases, one OD and the othhers mix and match. That way I have a stock for repairs and projects.

Also, has anyone out there used the Rapco canvas chain covers. I can't get mine around the hook. I'm wondering if I need to just coat it with detergent to get it to slide on.

wikallen

Great looking paint job. I needed some touch-up on my m109, I will give their rattle cans a try.

tx399999

I had a pretty good base with just a little chipping and surface rust, so I took a wire wheel to the rough spots then used degreaser on the whole thing. It seems to be sticking to the CARC really well.

50shooter

Looks good. Did you cut the exhaust pipe and install the rain flapper or was it already like that, i.e. AF truck? Also same question about the 90 deg on the air intake mushroom?

Thanks

tx399999

I did those myself. When Igot the truck the j pipe was rusted through so when I replaced it I added a muffler and a flapper. The elbow on the intake is just 4" exhaust pipe from Napa. We get some bad weather here and so far I haven't had any water make it into the exhaust or intake.

tx399999

Thanks for all the compliments. Over the past year I've concentrated on everything mechanical on the truck. It's nice to have it looking as good as it runs.

1stSarge

Also, has anyone out there used the Rapco canvas chain covers. I can't get mine around the hook. I'm wondering if I need to just coat it with detergent to get it to slide on.
Spit on it! Kidding… have you tried soaking the canvas? Get it really wet, soaked, and it will swell a little. A little soap would not hurt at all. When it dries it will shrink back down.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks