• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

WOOOOHOOOOOO...!!! Got it home!

TonkaT

Couldn't have gone smoother. Picked my "new to me" M998 up from the offsite yard (Warner Robins Towing) today. I rented a tilt trailer from Sunbelt Rentals. TIGHT fit getting the front tires through the fenders. Literally squeezed through. The towing company picked it up under the rear tires with the tow truck and rolled it on for $35. WELL worth that money. They must have over 100 units on the yard.

I oodled over mine for a while checking things out before finally getting it strapped/chained down. Piece of cake with the convenient shackles everywhere. I'm downloading the adventure pics right now.

TonkaT

TonkaT

I am WELL pleased with the condition. I didn't have too high of hopes, as this is understood to be a project machine. Just the typical dings here and there, body's good and all that CARC paint seems to have pretected the under belly and important stuff. Only difference than GP described is the tires are 36" not 37".

At the gas station, AGAIN.....
20151106_155900.jpg

Finally home.
20151106_182428.jpg

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Looks like passenger front is also an oddball wheel. 12-bolt with a 36" bias-ply. Good score though!

TonkaT

Just an update. We're having a ball with the new addition to the family. My wife has been surprisingly accepting of the convertible "Jeep" she had been asking for. I explained how this is the vehicle Jeeps yearn to be (and I love my 89 Wrangler!). The biggest help is how much of a hoot her friends have made. Told her she would be the only HMMWV Hottie amongst them.

Serious word of advice for those bringing home a HMMWV. Thoroughly check to make sure all drive shafts are properly connected before moving under power. My front drive shaft U/V was apparently only hanging on by one strap and bolt, as it broke loose easing down the drive. No damage other than minor burring of the shaft end and one bolt I've got to easy-out. Couldn't resist getting it going, so dropped the front shaft out and made it a rear wheel drive until I can match a U/V joint and strap kit.

This thing is very easy to work on, so far. Love the complete no frills utility of it.

sully199

You are lucky, my wife HATES my HMMWV and I have done a lot of work to it, AC, new bucket seats, 80% of the noise is gone etc. she was in it once, and said it was the worst ridding and noisiest vehicle she has ever been in! LOl, she would of hated the ones I was in when I was in the Marines!! I drive it everyday, my 10 yr old loves being dropped off at school every morning.

You are lucky, my wife HATES my HMMWV and I have done a lot of work to it, AC, new bucket seats, 80% of the noise is gone etc. she was in it once, and said it was the worst ridding and noisiest vehicle she has ever been in! LOl, she would of hated the ones I was in when I was in the Marines!! I drive it everyday, my 10 yr old loves being dropped off at school every morning.
Most women just don't get it. Heck, most "men" don't.

TonkaT

Alwayssunny,
Don't worry, you'll have zero buyer's remorse. Keep in mind it's going to be a project.

Only thing is I wish the seat gave a little more leg room. Got the old style three-position seat. Will look at mounting something else some day. But that's a little down the list, right now.

TonkaT

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks