• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Workin' the Five

TheBuggyman

Well, ya'll might remember my dump conversion from this past fall/winter and now I'm actually using it!
Never got around to installing the ISO connectors, I just decided to gripe the dump body to the flatbed for now as it is just being used to build the pond.
It looks a little funny with the cab protector so high but when I have some time I'll cut the height down and install the connectors. (I even want to extend the bed and fix the tailgate)
I'm under the gun to get the pond in before the property appraisal and winter so enjoy the pics of a desperate man in a desperate situation! :shock:

Attachments

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
More pics! That's a good load your hauling around, truck looks like it handles it fine.

Last edited:

Cdub

Outstanding.......that's the way to put the Green to work......... [thumbzup]

What are your futrue plans with the Dump and ISO bed......?

Really enjoyed the pic........ :D ........

Thanks for taking the time to share them with us.

Cheers,

C'dub

TheBuggyman

Stretch44875 said:
More pics! That's a good load your hauling around, truck looks like it handles it fine.
Rode great loaded and dumped just fine. The only bad thing but a necessary evil are the Detroit lockers in the rears. I need the traction but with all of that weight on the tandems sometimes she just wants to go straight!

TheBuggyman

Cdub said:

What are your futrue plans with the Dump and ISO bed......?

Cheers,

C'dub
C'dub,
Eventually I want to extend the dump body to be the same length as the flatbed (with the tailgate shut), lower the cab protector to appear more original and weld in my ISO connectors so I don't have to use chains to hold the dump body onto the flatbed. Once the connectors are in I can just lock the dump body on just like an ocean container, it should work pretty well. That's the plan, anyway............

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Great pics, thanks for taking the time to shoot and post them.. :beer:

Cdub

TheBuggyman said:
Cdub said:

What are your future plans with the Dump and ISO bed......?

Cheers,

C'dub
C'dub,
Eventually I want to extend the dump body to be the same length as the flatbed (with the tailgate shut), lower the cab protector to appear more original and weld in my ISO connectors so I don't have to use chains to hold the dump body onto the flatbed. Once the connectors are in I can just lock the dump body on just like an ocean container, it should work pretty well. That's the plan, anyway............

Very interesting idea with using the locks from the ISO bed for the dump body....

What may I ask ever gave you that ingenious idea.......??

Here a pic of a converted ISO to a dump body......John used a single hydraulic piston
very large in diameter and just raised the bed off the frame with a single box steel. He did some nice mods on the tail gate, raised the sides and made a very functional cab proctor. It was an original Schott's M923 ISO which he added the winch.....

I though you'd be interested........don't mean to steal your thunder.....

Attachments

TheBuggyman

Cool truck! I thought to use the bed sides but felt that a rolling stump would make short work of them. My wife also wanted the truck to remain fairly original looking, hence the idea for a removable dump body!

One cool thing is that if I go to get mulch or some other light weight material I could just use the regular sides I suppose.

Do you have any pics with the body raised? I always like to see the different takes on an idea!

No.2Diesel

I thought you tack welded it on and then I saw the chains and binders :shock: . Did the dumb bed shift any?

How deep will your pond be and will it be lined or spring fed? Decorative or maybe its for the moo moos?

TheBuggyman

No.2Diesel said:
I thought you tack welded it on and then I saw the chains and binders :shock: . Did the dumb bed shift any?

How deep will your pond be and will it be lined or spring fed? Decorative or maybe its for the moo moos?
No welding, just binders! Figured I'd try it as they are rated 9600 WLL each and all of the use was 2nd gear, low range. Bed shifted a little after the 2nd load, tightened everything up and hauled probably 25 more loads that day with no problems!

Dam will be 24' high (1' below state maximum w/o an engineer!) with the bottom bowled out. I'm guessing maybe 28 to 30' at the deepest point and 4 to 5 surface acres. when finished. No liner, no spring (yet). Plenty of Virginia red clay and about 50 to 60 acres of watershed keeps the bottom wet when raining!

I just want really big bass! 8)

1ton

I really like the five ton and the 963. I've drove a 953D for a few minutes over the summer, had a lot of cool features with the electrohydraulic controls,. I'll have to settle for a JD 450C for now. I'm surprised to see a track loader in VA, they aren't used much outside the midwest.

tsmall07

1ton said:
I'm surprised to see a track loader in VA, they aren't used much outside the midwest.
I don't know where you got that info. We have them a lot around here. More than wheel loaders on large job sites.

That truck is awesome and I want to come visit! I want a 5 ton dumper so bad! I used to think I was cool with my little M1008... :roll:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks