• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on diagram of Cat 3116 common failure points

JD4044M

Boy the more I read the more stuff I need to check. Seems it might be a good idea to check the Torque on all moving parts, brackets, total fan blade inspection, driveshaft inspection the list is long. Be interesting to know are these problems showing up in low mile trucks or only high mile use trucks? Is it trucks that have been worked on it the past and not put back together correctly? Poor workmanship stuff?

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's on any year range truck.
Once the few things are looked at tighten and checked the trucks are super.

I disagree with awesomeness that fan r &r
Should be first on list unless you want to buy a new blade if you can find one.
Or have to buy blade and clutch because you can't find the old blade o and a radiator also if blade goes flying through it .

2nd make sure all brackets to air compressor and power steering pump are tight.

3rd pull front cover and change nut on compressor to lock nut .

The gear on compressor is not a pressed fit it's not on a key way

Nut falls off gear falls off and if your lucky all you lose is air and power steering until you put gear and nut back on.

If unlucky gear and nut falls off and gets jammed up in other gears and really destroys

Have had absolutely no issues with drive shafts with any of the 3 fmtvs I've owned.

My 1089 is a GREAT truck my favorite out of the 8 or 9 trucks I've owned.

JD4044M

Well I feel anything can be fixed or corrected by knowing what may happen. I have a 79 Chevy Pickup with a 454 in it 4x4 1 ton Dulley. 13 years owning it and still no real problems. The Transmission failed from sliding backwards down a icy hill. I had to ditch it to stop it and the 11,000 lb trailer hitched to it. Pulled the transmission and rebuilt it that was several years ago. You have to have a good ear, know what your butt is feeling in the seat ect. I can detect a driveshaft problem long before it goes. Once I understand this truck and the way it sounds and feels my ears will alert me. I always listen and become one with my vehicles. I will do the same with this one. I will look at every square inch, check every bolt and read what I can about what others find. Take nothing for granted and it will treat me right!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks