• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gee Mark, sorry to hear this. I hope you are able to get towed somewhere safe! Certainly something to keep on the checklist. Let us know how it turns out.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This just plain sucks, Mark. But you looked good in the parade and at the display!

And it didn't happen in Big Bend... :shock:

Cheers

TexAndy

Bummer. But yeah, on the way to or from Big Bend would have sucked.

Question... what size tow shackle feet/pins does the LMTV use? I've got the large tow bar and feet for it that have two sets of pin holes offset from eachother. 1 for towing deuces/5 tons and the other for towing cucvs.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Bummer. But yeah, on the way to or from Big Bend would have sucked.

Question... what size tow shackle feet/pins does the LMTV use? I've got the large tow bar and feet for it that have two sets of pin holes offset from eachother. 1 for towing deuces/5 tons and the other for towing cucvs.
Deuce/5 ton feet. Of course I don't think your M1009 could tow it back from Big Bend. It'd probably get it off the road though but I'm thinking my medium would do that without having to pack that Heavy tow bar around.

I took a closer look at the damage this morning. Air line going to the clutch was obviously ripped out but didn't notice standing there in the rain yesterday that it pulled the line through the fan shroud while strangling it. So now I have a nice silver dollar sized hole in the upper fan shroud. The fan is TOAST. Not only is the entire center gone but several of the blades are cracked and parts of the tips broken off. I'll need to wait until I get the radiator pulled to fully judge the damage there but looks like just a couple of rows on the right side took damage. With a little luck that can be repaired without an entire re-core.

I'm probably going to need a couple of days to recover. The stress and adrenaline surge knocked me into an exacerbation so I'm down for a bit. And unfortunately (for me, not for him) my regular mechanic got a new job so he's kind of too busy to help.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think your M1009 could tow it back from Big Bend. It'd probably get it off the road though
If you can pull a V100 away from the gas pumps to jump start it, you should be able to move a 1078.

Bet that doesn't fit the manual criteria for the rather weak 1009 pintle hitch! :p

Glad the radiator is a little better than originally thought.

Cheers

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got the teardown complete except for the radiator. I found bits and pieces of lots of different parts scattered throughout the engine compartment. Getting a closer look at the radiator I'm optimistic that it can be repaired as long as I can get it out without doing any more damage. The hole in the fan shroud probably isn't as bad as I thought either. I should be able to run the bulkhead fitting through a couple of fender washers and sandwich the hole closed that way. I also thought the clutch air line was trashed from the cab all the way to the clutch but it looks like it pulled out of the shroud fitting so just the fitting through the clutch will need to be replaced. I'm still not going to get to take it to the Burnet Air Show next weekend though. I might have to pull the wife's M37 out and take it. More work (loading/unloading the trailer, finding a place to park trailer, etc) but I'd still get to go to the air show.

IMG_4632.jpgIMG_4633.jpgIMG_4634.jpgIMG_4635.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the lower fan shroud out. The upper bolts on the lower shroud are a PITA. Not enough room to get a socket, even with a swivel, on it and very little room to turn a wrench. 1/8 turn, flip wrench, 1/8th turn, etc. Then when it's loose there's no room to get your fingers in there to turn it the rest of the way so you have to do the entire bolt 1/8th turn at a time. It's going to be a blast trying to get them back in. There is some damage to the upper left of the shroud. I can't tell if it's a stress break or from the fan hitting it but think I can epoxy it without having to do any fiberglass work.

After I got the shroud out I drained what little was left in the radiator, about a gallon, pulled the lower hose, and loosened the 4 bolts that hold the radiator brackets on. All that's needed to pull it is to take those 4 bolts completely out. I think I've got enough height with my engine hoist (8') to pull it as long as I can maneuver the hoist close enough. I'm not going try yet as I want some help here to guide the radiator out. I really don't want to do any more damage to it and need to verify we can get it back in, unharmed, the same way. The top of the frame is 4' and the radiator is approximately 3' long so it's going to be close.

Another Ahab

I got the lower fan shroud out. The upper bolts on the lower shroud are a PITA. Not enough room to get a socket, even with a swivel, on it and very little room to turn a wrench. 1/8 turn, flip wrench, 1/8th turn, etc. Then when it's loose there's no room to get your fingers in there to turn it the rest of the way so you have to do the entire bolt 1/8th turn at a time. It's going to be a blast trying to get them back in. There is some damage to the upper left of the shroud. I can't tell if it's a stress break or from the fan hitting it but think I can epoxy it without having to do any fiberglass work.
I'll need to check my old copy of Dante's "Inferno", but I'm pretty sure that what you got there is:

- I believe, the Ninth and Innermost Circle of H***

9-Circles-Of-Hell-heresy.jpg

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the insurance claim filed for the tow bill. Now we get to see how good the coverage really is. I'd be surprised if they cover even half of it but I could be wrong.

Another Ahab

I got the insurance claim filed for the tow bill. Now we get to see how good the coverage really is. I'd be surprised if they cover even half of it but I could be wrong.
I'd be interested to know if your premium gets bumped now.

That's what always got me about insurance, no matter how small the claim (like a battery jump for instance); up goes the premium.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks