• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
De-pollenating the LMTV for an event in Austin this weekend. If you've never spent spring time in Central TX you're missing out on the wonderful layer of yellow gunk that coats EVERYTHING this time of year. I know you folks in the northeast are still fighting snow but my wife would trade you pound for pound in oak pollen.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
De-pollenating the LMTV for an event in Austin this weekend. If you've never spent spring time in Central TX you're missing out on the wonderful layer of yellow gunk that coats EVERYTHING this time of year. I know you folks in the northeast are still fighting snow but my wife would trade you pound for pound in oak pollen.
Take some of that oak stuff and brew it in hot water. Makes an excellent oak tea! :D

KGBruce

When I got my M 1078 home I noticed the rear drivers brake pads were missing. Well not really missing but had literally cracked and fallen off the backing plate. I'll be doing a brake job on the rear drivers. Any advice on where to get the brake shoes? Probably also have to get plungers as well. From the looks of it the drivers rear brakes and probably seized up, overheated and then disintegrated! Somebody probably had his baby over 100MPH! Yeah think?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When I got my M 1078 home I noticed the rear drivers brake pads were missing. Well not really missing but had literally cracked and fallen off the backing plate. I'll be doing a brake job on the rear drivers. Any advice on where to get the brake shoes? Probably also have to get plungers as well. From the looks of it the drivers rear brakes and probably seized up, overheated and then disintegrated!
Not sure about new stuff but any time I need a part I check with Suprman 1st. If he doesn't have something he generally knows where to get it.

Duckworthe

You should be able to get your shoes at just about any big truck parts house or NAPA. I looked into them at San Diego Friction and I believe they where something like $75.00 a set. That was also about 2 years ago.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The 3 day events are always the fun ones. Pretty heavy rain on Fri so just an abbreviated show but cleared off over night. Heavy dew this morning but sunshine and about 80 so a perfect day for the show.

Allan I’ll be sure to tell everyone you wished you were here. We’ll toast you with a breakfast taco in the morning.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Anyone remember back to page 70 when I lost my fan clutch? The same thing just happened to Adventure Driven's M1079 only he was much further away from home than I was when mine happened. It sounds like he was able to source all of the newer parts and will hopefully be back on the road tomorrow but it's an abject lesson (repeated) as to the inferior design of the older clutch/fan set up. If you have that style, where the fan is sandwiched between the clutch and an aluminum spacer and an aluminum center to the actual fan, you'd be miles ahead, literally, to change it out while it's in your drive way and not hundreds of miles from home.

As an aside, whether related or not, he just had AC added last week. That's about the same time frame of my AC install and fan clutch grenade. Whether that's a coincidence or actually related is hard to tell but any time you have your cab tilted reach in and shake the fan to make sure it's still solidly mounted and not starting to wobble.

Pointman0853

Steel Soldiers Supporter
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks