• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working on the M1078 LMTV

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
mkcoen's LMTV is safely back at my AO in the Houston area. It is a creampuff. The recovery was a bit brutal, battling heavy rain, curiosity stop by a CMV officer, a huge bridge out detour, and lots of bumpy LA roads. Erik of GP was a pleasure to work with, he was there waiting at DRMO and helped me couple up. Truck pulled OK between 50 and 60, I did not dare take it to 70, which is how fast the white lightning 915 can run. I conveniently left out the fact to mkcoen that this was the 915's maiden voyage beyond the city limits. Ran like a scalded dog, not bad for a 1980 model truck that has not been rebuilt. Still getting used to the Cat 7155 trans though.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
oh man! You have to be foaming at the mouth to go get it :)
The auction had it listed as a Non-Runner with a "blown hydraulic line." The consensus was that the hydraulic pump had blown the seal like so many of them do. NDT is going to take a look at it and determine what needs done and whether it's a runner or not. At that point, if it runs and drives, I can go get it. But yeah, the foam is building up.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great job! What did you do to prep the towed vehicle for the ride? It probably goes without saying due to your experience but I have to ask for the learning involved, so here goes...did you drop both drive shafts and what if any special tools did you use to do it? Thanks
On the rear axle, I pulled the axle shafts. You do this by removing the giant pipe plug with a pipe wrench (or appropriate socket if you have it), and inserting a 3/8 bolt into the end of the shaft and pull. Make sure you have a oil catch pan, especially if you are on a military base! Front, I pulled the caps on the forward most ujoint, gave the yoke a tap with the bfh, and they popped right out. I then double strapped the diriveshaft to the transmission crossmember and replaced the caps using wire to hold them. I checked the hub lube level in front by removing the giant pipe plug. That was it.

I should mention that the grand plan is to prep the truck to drive to mkcoen's AO under it's own power. First order of business it to get the dead Hawkers on the AGM chargers.

Thanks so much for this information...! I had seen a number of references to pulling the axle shafts but never sorted out how to do it. Much appreciated...!

On the rear axle, I pulled the axle shafts. You do this by removing the giant pipe plug with a pipe wrench (or appropriate socket if you have it), and inserting a 3/8 bolt into the end of the shaft and pull. Make sure you have a oil catch pan, especially if you are on a military base! Front, I pulled the caps on the forward most ujoint, gave the yoke a tap with the bfh, and they popped right out. I then double strapped the diriveshaft to the transmission crossmember and replaced the caps using wire to hold them. I checked the hub lube level in front by removing the giant pipe plug. That was it.

I should mention that the grand plan is to prep the truck to drive to mkcoen's AO under it's own power. First order of business it to get the dead Hawkers on the AGM chargers.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mark. Put me at the top of the list when you decide to sell this one. :mrgreen:

Overdrive

NDT - " I should mention that the grand plan is to prep the truck to drive to mkcoen's AO under it's own power. First order of business it to get the dead Hawkers on the AGM chargers. "

Someone should get a couple of those little pop-confetti thingies to use as a 21 gun salute when mkcoen gets his truck delivered ;) ... he has more patients than I

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey Mark. Put me at the top of the list when you decide to sell this one. :mrgreen:
I know I've said it before but I'd like to think this one is a keeper. The 5 ton was supposed to be if I'd been able to get a license for it (I really loved that truck) and that's why I turned to the LMTV. If it runs and drives I'm going to hang on to it. If it doesn't then you'll be the 1st one I call :)

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
NDT gave me a run down on the condition of the truck. At this point the cab can't be lifted as the pump needs rebuilt but from what he could see underneath it doesn't look like anything was scavenged from it. The cargo cover is toast and the troop seats are broken. The left front tire has been sitting flat at some point as there is considerable cracking on the side wall and it's got a weird wear pattern to it. Driver's seat back has all the covering torn off of it and, last but not least, it is missing the tailgate.

The driver's seat, top, and tailgate were all things easily identified in the auction pics so no big surprise. I was hoping the top was just some split seams but I've already got a line on a NOS cover just didn't want the expense right now. The tire is a big issue in that all four on the truck are Michelin XMLs but the spare is a new Goodyear MV/T so can't just swap the spare and go. Luckily the outfit that scrapped all the Caimans that people are getting the high speed axles from also still have the wheels and tires so I'm making a mad dash over there Thursday morning then down to NDTs south of Houston. I'm just going to get 4 MV/Ts to match the spare as I'll be doing mostly road driving with the truck and they look better for wet pavement than the Michelins.

agazza2

Mark, you going to make sure it runs before investing all that money in tires? Seems like NDT will have it running in no time once the batteries are charged up.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, you going to make sure it runs before investing all that money in tires? Seems like NDT will have it running in no time once the batteries are charged up.
The tires are priced right enough that I shouldn't have any trouble getting my money back plus extra to cover the trip.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks