• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Made it home last night around 9. It was a fun trip but very long. I'm probably going to be out of it for a week or so just trying to recover. Turns out I had about 6 sets of lift rings, 4 sets of tow shackles, 2 sets of tail lights, a couple of pintle hitches, rope hooks, tie down loops, etc. It was all in a military foot locker tray. I sold almost everything, including the tray, at the Convention. The pile of stuff brought almost as much as all the crap I had brought from home to sell at the swap meet. Unfortunately I only sold 2 tires so minus my set and a set I sold to Sarge up in Austin I still have 22 tires I have to make room for in the shop.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Pulled the tires I intend to keep, 6 and a spare. All look pretty good but 2 of them are almost brand new. Now the test is to air them up and see if they're sound. They all seemed to have air when we picked them up but seem kind of limp now. That's when it clicked that they were at 6000' in elevation in Cheyenne. Here's what the Google machine has to say about altitude and tire pressure:

As you climb to a higher altitude, the air offers less resistance, which will create a larger amount of pressure within the tire. Accordingly, it is necessary to make adjustments for a change in altitude; releasing air for ascent and adding air for descent.

Attachments

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Cheyenne, WY

The engine and a set of fuel tanks were the only Goat parts he has left. He's got an M54 W/W but that was the only other MV he has.
Where was the M54? One of the workers told me they (personally) had a MV but a M54 was not it.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Where was the M54? One of the workers told me they (personally) had a MV but a M54 was not it.
They said they had it out back but it was part of the salvage yard stuff. We didn't actually go look at it as we were trying to get to Topeka that day (didn't even make it to Salina). Super nice guys at the yard. They used the fork lift to get the tires to the trailer and then one of them helped Andy line them up to be strapped down while I was pulling them off the fork. I gave them a $20 to grab lunch with and then we hit the road.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For those of you who haven't been to a MVPA Convention I really suggest you go. The quality of people you meet there is outstanding. While trying to sell another Goat owner some tires (which he had no way to get home so passed) I mentioned I was looking for the M60 mount that bolts to the top of the fender. I said that if I couldn't find one I'd probably just fab one based on the drawings in the manual. He mentioned that he'd bought one from one of the vendors there a couple of years before and the vendor told him he had a whole box of them. At that point he walked me directly to the vendor. Unfortunately the vendor said it wasn't him and while he had 1 of the mounts it was for his Goat and he'd never seen another one. Jokingly I suggested the original gentleman sell me his. He said "how about $10?" I told him I was only joking but he said he had never planned to put a gun, display or otherwise, on the Goat so why not get it to someone who was going to. I gave him $25 for the mount and shipping knowing I might never see either again. This morning he called and gave me the tracking number for it. He also said there was an angle to part of it that isn't visible in the tech manual so I wouldn't have gotten it right trying to fab it. You have to love people in this hobby. For every story of someone getting shafted by unscrupulous individuals (Daryl B for example) you hear 10 stories like this one.

Last edited:

combat32

That is so true, thats why I always try to give back as so many here and in MVPA in general have given me parts and knowledge over the years, more good folks in this business than turds!

TexAndy

For those of you who haven't been to a MVPA Convention I really suggest you go. The quality of people you meet there is outstanding. While trying to sell another Goat owner some tires (which he had no way to get home so passed) I mentioned I was looking for the M60 mount that bolts to the top of the fender. I said that if I couldn't find one I'd probably just fab one based on the drawings in the manual. He mentioned that he'd bought one from one of the vendors there a couple of years before and the vendor told him he had a whole box of them. At that point he walked me directly to the vendor. Unfortunately the vendor said it wasn't him and while he had 1 of the mounts it was for his Goat and he'd never seen another one. Jokingly I suggested the original gentleman sell me his. He said "how about $10?" I told him I was only joking but he said he had never planned to put a gun, display or otherwise, on the Goat so why not get it to someone who was going to. I gave him $25 for the mount and shipping knowing I might never see either again. This morning he called and gave me the tracking number for it. He also said there was an angle to part of it that isn't visible in the tech manual so I wouldn't have gotten it right trying to fab it. You have to love people in this hobby. For every story of someone getting shafted by unscrupulous individuals (Daryl B for example) you hear 10 stories like this one.

Outstanding.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got the 1st wheel/tire combo on this morning after painting the wheel yesterday. I'm extremely thankful that these things don't weigh as much as a deuce wheel/tire or I'd never be able to handle them. As it is I'm going to be lucky to get 1 a day finished and installed. I aired them all up the other day and they seemed to be holding pressure but we'll see over the next couple of days how they handle sitting with weight on them. After all these are likely 30+ years old.

I also noticed while I was changing the tire that I'd forgotten about missing the top portion of the step on the driver's side. With all of the parts flying back and forth via UPS and USPS I neglected to mention I needed that. With luck there's a parts tractor around that still has it.

IMG_3399.jpgIMG_3410.jpg

m38inmaine

Is that a home made skid plate below the tank? I have never seen one before. You are actually missing two pieces under the tank from what I can see. Edit, looks like the angle is welded to the main bar, I thought it was bolted so it is one piece.

Last edited:

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I never noticed they weren't on all Goats. I just did a Google photo search and couldn't find another one like it. Here's the passenger side. It actually makes a comfortable step.

I doubt it was a USMC modification. More likely something the Forest Service did. One of the corner welds on the original step is broken and they probably did a bolt on fix rather than weld it. If I can find some aluminum angle that wide I'll go ahead and fab one to make both sides match.

Attachments

Last edited:

m38inmaine

Mark, I looked at my parts pile and I only have the one I need. Of course the original one on the tractor was torn off. I suspect a lot of these got torn off as they got caught on a rock or branch.

Attachments

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It actually looks good.Unusual for post military mods.
It's just at the right heighth for your foot to slip into the notch in the tank. Of course that's in tennis shoes. I haven't been able to wear my Army boots (or any other boot) for a while due to the weight of them. Probably too tight to get your toe in with those. Just shows how observant I am not to have noticed they're not there on any other Goat.

dmetalmiki

mkcoen:"You have to love people in this hobby. For every story of someone getting shafted by unscrupulous individuals (Daryl B for example) you hear 10 stories like this one."
I bought my M151 Mutt from Sweden, it arrived last week. The chap I bought it from forgot to include the spare differential (axle) with it. Received my tracking and delivery note this morning. (as it "chased" after the jeep!). Heart warming that.
And we are following you progress on the goat with great interest still.

Last edited:

m38inmaine

That's what's great about this site , a lot of eyes to inspect things we miss. Otherwise the good news is your seats will ship tomorrow and I will forward the tracking info.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, I looked at my parts pile and I only have the one I need. Of course the original one on the tractor was torn off. I suspect a lot of these got torn off as they got caught on a rock or branch.
Sure enough that's missing on both sides. Not a problem. I'll just make both sides match with the angle and leave it like that. I'm not planning on entering any competitions where someone will care if I have an original step or a modified one. Like I said, the large flat piece of angle is actually comfortable as a step and I can use all the balance support available while climbing in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks