• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working On The M561 Gama Goat

Another Ahab

I vote for securing the engine to a stand and run it before installing it in the goat.

Also, there is nothing good in Clayton. Only trains and train noises.
Some of us are plenty OK with that!

Sounds good to me (I mean unless I'm trying to catch up on my beauty sleep).

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I vote for securing the engine to a stand and run it before installing it in the goat.

The problem is getting the oil pan off the currently installed engine. If I leave the Goat on the trailer to take it to a friend to pull then I'm stuck with the Goat on the trailer until I get a new engine installed. If I take the Goat off the trailer and pull the engine in the driveway I have to figure out how to get the engine pulled as my engine hoist doesn't have the capacity (need an A-frame set up to do it). I'll check around Monday to see if I can find one but don't have a lot of confidence I'll have luck. I really need to reconsider my choice in toys. I have this affinity for oddball crap that causes a lot more trouble than it's worth.

As to Clayton (that's in NM for those curious), the Days Inn was probably 20' from the railroad tracks (and of course our room was on that side of the building) and we had a minimum of 5 different trains come through blowing their horns between 2300 and 0700. If you're driving through there just keep driving.

Another Ahab

As to Clayton (that's in NM for those curious), the Days Inn was probably 20' from the railroad tracks (and of course our room was on that side of the building) and we had a minimum of 5 different trains come through blowing their horns between 2300 and 0700. If you're driving through there just keep driving.
OK.

I get it now.

That's NO fun.

sleep.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, if you want to come get it, you can borrow my gantry. It has a 2000# capacity, max lift height 12'. I'd bring it to you, but you have the nice, big trailer! ;)

Cheers

Attachments

Last edited:

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hook it up to the rafters of the garage. I'm sure the wife unit would not mind. :mrgreen:

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any stout trees around? Could ya chain off to a branch that way? I lifted a deuce engine out of a pickup that way. Did a test lift first, not noises or excessive droop, went ahead and lifted the engine. Necessity is always the mother of invention. I can't remember if there are "big" trees in Tx. = 0 LOL

TexAndy

The problem is getting the oil pan off the currently installed engine. If I leave the Goat on the trailer to take it to a friend to pull then I'm stuck with the Goat on the trailer until I get a new engine installed. If I take the Goat off the trailer and pull the engine in the driveway I have to figure out how to get the engine pulled as my engine hoist doesn't have the capacity (need an A-frame set up to do it). I'll check around Monday to see if I can find one but don't have a lot of confidence I'll have luck. I really need to reconsider my choice in toys. I have this affinity for oddball crap that causes a lot more trouble than it's worth.

For the purposes of just testing the engine, how do you feel about just plugging the hole in the oil pan?

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, if you want to come get it, you can borrow my gantry. It has a 2000# capacity, max lift height 12'. I'd bring it to you, but you have the nice, big trailer! ;)

Cheers
Thanks! Looks like that'd work fine. Question is, how hard would it be to get on/off my nice/big trailer? I suppose that'd give me an excuse to deliver your AC unit.

The Wife Unit said not to dignify Warthogs suggestion with a comment ��

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question is, how hard would it be to get on/off my nice/big trailer? I suppose that'd give me an excuse to deliver your AC unit.
Onto the trailer - I use my tractor to lift one end while you drive the trailer under it (too heavy for the little tractor to safely lift the whole thing at once). That would be the reverse of how I got it off Scott's trailer by myself!

At your place, I suggest several friends get together and hump it off? The book says it weighs 717#. Or we bring the tractor down with us?

In the fluster of moving house, I'd forgotten about that a/c unit! It sure would be nice of you to bring it (if you can load it?). ;)

Cheers

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark: Would 2 engine hoists positioned one on each side of the Goat work? You could borrow mine but I do not trust it...no more Chinese HF cheap models for me!
Thanks Bob but the issue isn't weight but heighth. I need to go about 8' vertical to clear the side of the Goat.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I plan on using a tractor to lift mine out, must be some one near by with a tractor or excavator that can do the job.
For the time being I'm going to concentrate and setting something up to try running the new motor. I can pull the oil pan off of it and Keith_J will weld it up for me so we don't have to worry about it leaking. I will have to pull the radiator but can do it while the old motor is still in the tub.

combat32

You can ground hop it without the radiator, just put a water hose in it, short run won't hurt it, we always ran motors right in the can before we swapped them out, short run won't hurt anything.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a good excuse to buy a wrecker!

I agree with combat32, just put a hose in her. I have done that many times, usually I also restrict the outlet so the block fills solid.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can ground hop it without the radiator, just put a water hose in it, short run won't hurt it, we always ran motors right in the can before we swapped them out, short run won't hurt anything.
The problem is a short run might not verify if there is a problem and I don't want an overheat issue since that got me in this mess to begin with. If the engine is good I'd need to pull the radiator to swap it over any way so might as well hook it all up and let it idle for a bit.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got started on the new motor chores by pulling the oil pan off of it. Why someone would punch a hole in the pan versus simply unbolting the drain plug has always baffled me. I'm thinking it took a whole lot more effort to do it wrong than it would have to do it right but we always seemed to do stupid crap in the Army so why should this be different. It's about 1/2" diameter hole but should weld up easy enough once it's been given a few love taps with a BFH.

IMG_3662.jpgIMG_3660.jpgIMG_3661.jpg

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could almost thread a bolt into that hole, if it wasn't so close to the bung.

Remember to add a length of hose to the oil drain hole and a remote valve, for easy oil changes, before you complete the final re-install.

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could almost thread a bolt into that hole, if it wasn't so close to the bung.

Remember to add a length of hose to the oil drain hole and a remote valve, for easy oil changes, before you complete the final re-install.
That's on the one in the Goat now. I'll probably swap it out for this one if this engine proves to be good but for now I just want it to hold oil to check the motor. I've also ordered a spin-on oil filter kit.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's on the one in the Goat now. I'll probably swap it out for this one if this engine proves to be good but for now I just want it to hold oil to check the motor. I've also ordered a spin-on oil filter kit.

Could you have used an "expanding plug" to seal the hole for testing? Pan doesn't contain much pressure does it, while the engine is running? Just a suggestion, not familiar with that engine. Good luck and thanks for sharing.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks