• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Working the 5 ton

texas-5-ton

I havent had much time to converse with you guys lately but thought i'd stop in and say hi. It has been very hot and dry here in north central Texas and that has kept us very busy with wildland fires over the past few months. We went to a wildland fire earlier today and I was able to get a pic of our M813 at work. We have worked the heck out of this truck but she keeps right on providing for us. She has been very dependable and has yet to let us down. We did have a blow-out on a steer tire a few days ago but luckily, we were already at the fire and had it knocked down when the tire blew. Since we are going to have to replace the tire, we decided to go back with 22.5 budd wheels with an aggresive radial. Anybody else running budds on their rig??

Attachments

texas-5-ton

Thank You, and not yet. We had the wheels painted today and are mounting the tires tomarrow. We are only putting the budds on the steer axle for now but might try and add them to the rear later. Kinda hard to tell in the pic, but the truck needs a bath really bad.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Great shot of the old war horse. The wheels you have on there now are called Budd wheels the open center ones that need wedges are called Dayton wheels but in the going to 22.5 it is what the Army did with the M915 in later series to get the best over the road tires for the trucks. It might be good to get run flats for you if you got stuck in a fire tight spot being able to keep going with tires burning would be a real butt saver.

texas-5-ton

Heres what we have in mind. This is the same type of wheel as what we are putting on. Plain steel wheel, 2 vent holes but painted red with an aggresive 22.5 tire. Here are some pics of the wheels and a pic of the tires we are going to go with.

neilhendrix

In Memorial
In Memorial
Chad good looking truck. Being an X firefighter WAY back (6years ) all we had was an M37 but it worked . Be careful ,,Wild fires are WILD.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks