• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worn Torque Rod Symptoms

jhuey

What is the common symptom of a worn/weak Torque Rod bushing (dog bone)? As I understand it it limits forward and rearward movement of the axles. My deuce gets a lot of rear axle hop in reverse. Not all the time but regularly, I find it happens turning while backing or while under load (backing up hill or in deep loose soil with no weight in bed). It is quite violent at times and have to nurse it back using high/low range changes and slipping the clutch. I understand the relationship of the two rear axles and being linked, they will want to scrub and fight each other in a turn. The hop is putting a lot of stress in the drive train and is going to break something. I get no hop in the forward direction under all conditions, sort of a surging or rolling action which I can attribute to uneven road or trail even in a turn. My first thought was clutch, but as I use the truck more regularly I'm not so sure. Thanks for any help,:beer:.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd say that the "hop" you are experiencing has nothing to do with the torque rods.
It's more of a traction thing and the way the drive shafts are coupled without differentials...
I have had it happen backing uphill (off road) and more so with an empty bed than with a loaded one.

I've had the same experience trying to start out to fast on loose or slippery surface such as wet grass. To solve this I just let out the clutch slower or feather it till ive got alittle forward momentum. If there is a better way to do this let me know.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If a torque rod is worn bad enough to dive you a driveability issue, it will be out of it's socket and hitting the ground. When they fail, the inside rips out of the rubber. There is a check for them, use a pry bar and give them a pry towards the inside of the truck. Cracking is normal, if they are failed, you'll see the rubber slide off of the inner and it won't "spring" back to the center.

I think the check procedure is in one of the TM's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks