• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worst Trip Ever

Average Joe

Hello to all! I'm a long time lurker on the site and just need to vent to some folks who'll understand. . .

So I left Colorado Springs on 17JAN to pick up an S-280 shelter and M1022 dolley set at Barstow and Fontana, CA respectively. I was trying out my new overdrive which I installed last summer (which has performed well). Two days in the head gasket blew outside of Seligman, AZ. I ordered parts and got a room at the local motel, a minor inconvenience. On D+4 the parts arrived, and I caught the flu. On D+7 my fever broke and I was able to finish the head gasket job. On D+8 I departed for points west. Two miles out of town the head gasket blew again. Suspecting a cracked cylinder head, I limped the truck 75 miles to Kingman, Arizona where the closest machine shop was. Then I rented a U-Haul, bought a pintle hitch at Tractor Supply, and headed west again. I was successful in picking up the dolley set from Fonatana on the last day of January, D+15. I attempted to pick up the S-280 shelter and put it on the dolley set after the weekend (D+18). However, one requires a special adapter to fit an S-280 on an M1022 dolley, so I was unable to do so. Also I fell off the top of the dolley.

On the way back from Barstow, the U-haul got stuck in a sand wash while I was turning around at the edge of an overpass near Needles. Then the hitch bolts sheared off. One hefty towing bill later, I was back on the road and arrived in Kingman on D+19. The Deuce was ready on D+21, so I headed back to Barstow for the S-280, leaving the dolley in Kingman. I was able to get the shelter on D+22 (7FEB). On the way back, one of the jam nuts on top of the rocker arm in the re-installed cylinder heads backed off, and the rocker came off the lifter. The lifter proceeded to punch a hole in the top of the valve cover which promptly drained the engine of oil. On the side of the road in the Mojave desert, while watched by curious coyotes, I managed to fish out the jam nut, beat the valve cover back into shape, seal it with RTV, and wire the now cracked rocker back into some sort of shape. Baby and I then crawled back to Kingman under our own power, drenched in 15-40 and carbon monoxide. On D+25 I drove a borrowed car to Tuscon for a new rocker arm set and valve cover. Returning that night, I installed them on D+26, washed the truck, and started out of town. Apparently oil starvation has done for the turbo, which gave up the ghost 40 miles outside of Kingman on RT 66 after puking the crankcase contents out of the exhaust stack. At this point I ran out of cell phone service money, prescriptions, and sat down on the side of the road to cry.
The Deuce is on her way back to Kingman behind a commercial tow truck now ($$$) (D+27) and since my boy's 6 y.o. birthday is Saturday, I am considering lighting a torch and hitchhiking back to Colorado! There seem to be no parts closer than Tuscon, and although I've considered just pulling the turbo, plugging the oil line, and trying to limp home, something is telling me not to push my luck.

Anyone know a good witch doctor?

Average Joe

ATPTac

Wow. You, sir, have had one **** of a time. I would say I feel your pain (I've had bad road trips before), but I can't touch this one. I Wish I was close by to help out. Good luck man, maybe there are some people on here in the area that can lend a helping hand. Be safe.

M920

Man! that is the most horrible stretch of bad luck I have ever heard of! I wish I would have known about this, because we came back from Barstow last Thursday with four HETs and might have been able to help you!
I live in Chama, NM and have a truck and trailer that I could come rescue you with. PM me if I can help!

Soni

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should have posted while you were having the trouble.

That's what the site is for.(one of many things it's for)

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Man.....I've had my arse kicked by Murphy but I bow to your expertise. Sorry you couldn't have gotten some help from the similarly afflicted.

I wish I would have known about this, because we came back from Barstow last Thursday with four HETs and might have been able to help you!
FOUR HET's.....FOUR HET"S..........I CAN'T HAVE NOTHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!auaauaaua

M920

Man.....I've had my arse kicked by Murphy but I bow to your expertise. Sorry you couldn't have gotten some help from the similarly afflicted.

FOUR HET's.....FOUR HET"S..........I CAN'T HAVE NOTHIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!auaauaaua
Relax Richard.....they were not MY HET's.....lol

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sorry to hear your story Average Joe. I don't think I've had nightmares that ended that badly. There's no doubt in my mind who the winner (or loser) of the "Worst Trip Ever" award is.

Like DH said, posting while you were having trouble may have brought some help. Good luck going forward.

sigo

Lieutenant Colonel
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That may be the worst trip I've read about on SS. But sometimes the most difficult trials are the best memories when you look back. You were tested and you got through it. With that said, I hope your luck improves and everything starts coming up Average Joe, you earned some respite.

armytruck63

I would have been tempted to light the deuce on fire and roll it out into the desert once things got bad for about the third time. Good luck with your future trips and don't be afraid to ask for help if the going gets really tough.

mbehne

Man oh man, I have just recently been pretty much the exact route you have taken, not the best place for trouble. We lost a wheel bearing out in the middle of nowhere but limped into Albuquerque where I fixed it in a Sears parking lot but it was smooth sailing for us the rest of the trip. I wish you some better luck!!! Hope you you can make it back for your sons B-day.

I would have been tempted to light the deuce on fire and roll it out into the desert once things got bad for about the third time. Good luck with your future trips and don't be afraid to ask for help if the going gets really tough.
I probably would have said the same...but the way his luck is going, he would accidentally start a forest fire in the middle of the desert and end up in the hoosegow.

Last edited:

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just read your post twice and sat down and cried myself.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks