• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worth picking up a spare alternator?

nyvram

I found a guy who has working original CUCV ground isolated alternators he's pulled out and selling for $65 (non rebuilt). He said he's tested them to see they work but that's it.

It seems thats a no-brainer to have a spare around..could swap it out if one goes bad and then we could take our time rebuilding the one we pulled out and the vehicle would still be driveable.

At $65 it seems like a pretty good deal.

You could buy it and put it on and keep your old one for the spare .If the new to you one is bad you could get your money back.

dependable

Spares specific for engine compartment;

Alternator, starter, set of glow plugs, glow plug relay, fuel filter, lift pump, belts. I have these on hand, and more, but that is a good start if you are using one or more as daily drivers.

Skinny

If you have the money, do it. I would advocate for spending money on quality replacement parts to minimize failures. I do not DD mine but in 4 years time, I never had anything in the engine bay leave me stranded. I also went through and replaced or rebuilt everything to minimize this.

Worst case is you have two alternators on the truck. Make sure the functioning one goes to the front battery for daily operation. The rear battery only starts so you will get quite a few cranks on it. Then just swap them around to recharge. It will get you home in a pinch so you can curse why you didn't buy a spare for $65 :)