• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worth swapping M923 for a M923A2?

GFD200

We currently run a 923 for a heavy brush truck at our FD. It's a 1983 model being an A0, it's got the NHC-250 and its gutless. We've even had all 6 injectors replaced and it barely helped a bit. We've also had issues with the G177 tires not holding up very well.

Im just wondering if it'd be worth our time to find an A2 and swap the beds/equipment over.

I'm open to any suggestions. There's also a chance we might get a FMTV cab/chassis too at some point.

Attachments

Last edited:

poorman4x4

Super singles and a 8.3 turbo cummins, find the many posts started about that engine I'm sure you will see your decision being made before your very eyes, or I saw about 10 civilian FMTV cab and chassis for sale off I-10 in Houston

GFD200

We get our chassis for free from the state forestry department. They shop around and get stuff before it goes to GL I guess. I know they travel the country in a fleet of tilt deck trailers and semis picking them up. They had two FMTV 5 tons and I didn't luck out and get one. Those we a "trial" deal they said so we will see if they get anymore.

Thanks for all the advice thus far.

GFD200

Well it could've just been luck of the draw but we've blown out two different tires in the sidewall. The truck isn't near capacity either.

smoke

I know you said the injectors were replaced was the valves ran at sometime?. Also I don't know if the 250 is like the 400 big cam but timing was adjusted by shims on the cam follower covers(have to have special setup tools). Maybe help to check timing and or advance it alittle. Some people have talked about changing the fuel button on the fuel pump. I think you can add a fuel line to the fuel pump or from the fuel pump to the front of the head. I don't remember which way. Hope these helps if the a2 does not come through.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
The "nifty 250" has always suffered from low power and adding power is expensive...you might as well swap a 290 or 350 into it.

I have a M927 with the 8.3 in it and it pulls pretty good considering how much the truck weighs empty. Loaded it still pulls way down on steep hills.

You are never going to get great speed (if that's what your after) out of a tactical vehicle.

Since it is a brush truck you should be using low range out in the woods if you want it to pull heavy loads across rough terrain.

GFD200

The "nifty 250" has always suffered from low power and adding power is expensive...you might as well swap a 290 or 350 into it.

I have a M927 with the 8.3 in it and it pulls pretty good considering how much the truck weighs empty. Loaded it still pulls way down on steep hills.

You are never going to get great speed (if that's what your after) out of a tactical vehicle.

Since it is a brush truck you should be using low range out in the woods if you want it to pull heavy loads across rough terrain.
We aren't necessarily looking for sports car speed....just a little "ummph" out of the pocket. We aren't carrying too much weight.