• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Worth the trouble (M1009)

Prospect62

Well it's funny, just when I got bitten by the CUCV bug for the second time (I was bitten a couple years ago but then my wife got pregnant) I found one for sale nearby.

I've searched high and low for CUCV's for a long time and NONE seem to pop up in my area, not within at least 250 miles. This one is literally a 5 minute drive away.

Check it out, look at the pictures. Assuming it is a running, driving truck with a title, would it be worth the trouble? Those rockers and floors look SO far gone that I don't know if I can really make it work without replacing the entire body. I'm no welder.

I tell myself it's not worth it, that it's a basketcase and that with a little more patience, maybe I can find a more solid CUCV. But I just keep going back to it. My budget for a CUCV is around $2500 and I just don't know if I'll ever find one this close for this cheap.

Someone talk me out of it before I drag this swiss cheese home...

Last edited:

Prospect62

Yea they say that about all of their cars. I wouldn't be surprised if it had a clear NY title. But knowing the backwards City of Utica, I also wouldn't be surprised if it had NO title at all and has been driving around on switched offical plates for the last 20 years. Good point though. If it does have a salvage title, you can still register it in NY - it's just that the title will say "salvage" on it. No big deal for me.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well it's funny, just when I got bitten by the CUCV bug for the second time (I was bitten a couple years ago but then my wife got pregnant) I found one for sale nearby.
They found out what causes that.rofl

Ref the truck.

You can't gold plate a turd.

Save your money for something decent.......don't pour money down a rathole (ask me how I know).

ryan77

You will spend more money on that rot bucket then a clean southern truck goes for!! Save your money buy one in Alabama! There is a nice guy down there that will pull it off base for you!

Prospect62

Thank you very much. That would be a great help. I'll keep you posted. I've got to get over to govt liquidation and see what's available.

tequilaiam

I thought GM put the rust there in the factory?!

FWIW, it may be an expensive and time consuming PITA to make it original but its not hard to make good enough for a $2500 truck. $50 for two new rockers from LMC truck and some sheet steel from lowes. Add sawzall (or even a dremel tool) and cheap harbor-freight welder (or even cheaper o/a torch) and one or two evenings and it can look almost factory.

I'm no welder either but did a little reading and practice before tackling my rust bucket and I didn't find it difficult using a $90 harbor freight flux-core welder. Even easier if I would have just borrowed or bought a used decent machine.

Making nice, smooth welds that blend piences into eachother is hard without requiring a lot of grinding afterward. Sticking the metal together as good as factory is easy and roll-on bedliner in the cab can hide a lot of those ugly welds.

GM only spot welded that rocker in there in a few places anyway. When I did mine, I started cutting carefully until I realized this, then just removed the old rocker with the heel of my boot. Other than the rocker, the rest of the cab I repaired with scrap sheet metal and now its stonger than it ever was new. I can actually jack the vehicle up by the corner of the cab pan now.

Guess it depends on your time/money tradeoff and how much extra it will cost to drive/tow one back from down south and how much risk you want to take with a sight-unseen one. With local, you kind of know what you're going to get.

That's just my $0.02 but since I'm known to underestimate the time involved in any of my projects, maybe its just $0.01

Prospect62

I thought GM put the rust there in the factory?!

FWIW, it may be an expensive and time consuming PITA to make it original but its not hard to make good enough for a $2500 truck. $50 for two new rockers from LMC truck and some sheet steel from lowes. Add sawzall (or even a dremel tool) and cheap harbor-freight welder (or even cheaper o/a torch) and one or two evenings and it can look almost factory.

I'm no welder either but did a little reading and practice before tackling my rust bucket and I didn't find it difficult using a $90 harbor freight flux-core welder. Even easier if I would have just borrowed or bought a used decent machine.

Making nice, smooth welds that blend piences into eachother is hard without requiring a lot of grinding afterward. Sticking the metal together as good as factory is easy and roll-on bedliner in the cab can hide a lot of those ugly welds.

GM only spot welded that rocker in there in a few places anyway. When I did mine, I started cutting carefully until I realized this, then just removed the old rocker with the heel of my boot. Other than the rocker, the rest of the cab I repaired with scrap sheet metal and now its stonger than it ever was new. I can actually jack the vehicle up by the corner of the cab pan now.

Guess it depends on your time/money tradeoff and how much extra it will cost to drive/tow one back from down south and how much risk you want to take with a sight-unseen one. With local, you kind of know what you're going to get.

That's just my $0.02 but since I'm known to underestimate the time involved in any of my projects, maybe its just $0.01
Just when I thought I was out....they pull me back in!

Haha. Yea I'm just thinking that $500 for a truck that needs a little floor work isn't such a bad deal. I'm going to look at the truck today to see just how far gone it us and how it runs.

shopteacher

I'd buy it. A cheap flux core welder is easy to use. You will not get pretty welds. It will not be diffiicult to cut and paste it back together. Just don't expect professional results.

tequilaiam

Learing to MIG weld is manly....might make the wife pregnant again...
That is no BS. I got mine knocked up right after I bought my flux-core and then again when I started playing with it again while repairing my '09.

Must be that awesome tan you get when using the no helmet/eyes-closed method when in tight quarters.

tequilaiam

Just when I thought I was out....they pull me back in!

Haha. Yea I'm just thinking that $500 for a truck that needs a little floor work isn't such a bad deal. I'm going to look at the truck today to see just how far gone it us and how it runs.

That's a killer deal if its $500. It's got to be worth almost $1000 as scrap metal alone. Probably more if you just part it out.

A year ago when I bought mine, I started trolling the local pick-n-pull and there were at least a dozen similar year GM trucks as donors. Now, however, I'm having a hard time finding stuff to pick from. They've all been crushed or bought.

Its getting crazy at my lot. One week I spot a good donor and make a mental note to come back for it, the next it's gone. I have a feeling these things are about to start getting a lot rarer.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks