• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would a 900 series still start and run after an EMP 'event'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dburt

Suppose that there was an EMP 'event'. It could be natural or man made. Are the 900 series trucks vulnerable to getting whatever computer or electronics that manage the engine or transmission 'fried'? I have an XM813 w/w and am told that it would not be affected if the battery were unhooked when an EMP would hit. Since the sun is at 'maximum solar' activity rating for the next 19 months, many in govt and industry feel there is a real chance the world could get hit by a partial or full event such as happened in 1859. And of course there is always the danger that a foreign rogue nation could launch a nuke induced EMP our way to try and set us back to the horse and buggy days. So in light of the chance (however remote it may be) that we could experience an EMP event someday, I wonder if I have the best truck to survive such a thing? Yes, I know about 'faraday cages' and 1-inch of lead shielding, and 4 feet of dirt overhead etc etc as survival stratagies but I wonder about just being out in the open 'unprotected' if such a thing would happen. What do the rest of you think?

dburt

That's a good article posted at that link. I know that the military 'hardens' some of thier planes and ships, but always wondered about the trucks, tanks, hummers, etc. Once Mythbusters did a test on a regular Ford Taurus car while it was running, and it toasted the electronic engine controls so it was inop after that test. The bigger threat might be the failure of the power grid, and therefore it would be harder to access fuel that was stored in the ground and had to be pumped out.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
EMP, Zombie, SHTF threads are not allowed here. too many other websites for that.

Closing thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks