• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would anyone know why my radio and VIC kit will not work together?

MASIC

Currently installed is my MT1029 3rd generation radio mount. This mount has the last and latest jumpers inside and under the plug cover. My radio is the AN/VRC-53. My amplifier is the QA-3633/GRC. My antenna is the AS-1729/VRC and the intercom is the VIC-1.
Installed on the VIC port J501 is the right cable (CX-4723/VRC) to the J22 port of the MT-1029/VRC mount. Now the jumper in the 1029 mount under the access cover in the 24 position will send power to the VIC and Radio including the J pin of the 1029 mount but I can only run one at a time. If I switch the jumper to the 23 positions per every instruction found in manuals or the internet, I get power to the VIC but not to the Radio. I have checked the cable for continuity. My J pin port on the 1029 mount does not power up when switching any switch in every combination on the VIC kit while in the 23 position of the 1029 mount.
There has to be someone on this site who has the answer

MASIC

My radio works when powered on its own. My VIC kit works when it’s powered on its own as well. Based on the manual it states that if I remove the power supply from the VIC kit and jumper the VIC to the radio as per my original description I would be able to have power to both through the radio mount and I would be able to utilize the radio through the VIC as far as audio and voice.
I made all connections to the radio and VIC as per manual instruction. I switched the jumper in the radio mount as per instruction (the one under the terminal cover). I then switched the VIC to INT trans as per instruction. I then powered up the radio (its working as it should) then I went to power up the VIC and it also works as it should but now the radio breaker switch trips to the off position if I turn off the VIC then reset the radio switch the radio works again.
At this point I changed the jumper position in the radio mount back to its original position and tried the powering up of both devices again. This time the radio does not come on at all but the VIC does.
I have checked all of the cables pin by pin and verified the power at the pins found in the radio mount to be working.
I hope that this helps describe what I am seeing as far as operation. Please feel free to ask specific questions and I will try to my best ability to answer.

MASIC

$100 USD to the person who has the right answer! This has been pickin me a$$ for a while now and would like a fix. As per the manual the VIC-1 kit and the radio kit of mine should work together.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Masic,
Have you tried contacting PRC68,com, or posting something on the armyradio forum on Yahoo? Also check the boatanchors archive, as there may be something there.

wsucougarx

I'm wondering what your switch setting is on the AM-1780. The one off on the far right corner that you adjust with a screwdriver. Is it on INT ONLY, OTHER, RETRANS?

Armada

If I read the above correctly, you can't get both units to power up simultaniously? Instead of powering both through the radio mount, another option might be to power them seperately. I power both the radio and vic-1 at the same time by using an mx-7777 supressor. The power cable from the supressor to the 1029 mount is a cx-13089. Hope this helps.

Attachments

MASIC

If I read the above correctly, you can't get both units to power up simultaniously? Instead of powering both through the radio mount, another option might be to power them seperately. I power both the radio and vic-1 at the same time by using an mx-7777 supressor. The power cable from the supressor to the 1029 mount is a cx-13089. Hope this helps.
This I have not tried because I have yet to find the MX-7777 for purchase. My hope is to be able to utilize the VIC kit with the radio and my guess is with your set up this way, you have the function of the voice and audio from your radio to your VIC kit. I am also looking for a RT-524 radio to purchase as well.

tsstout

The 7777 is just a breaker....

My setup is;

from battery to mx-7777
from mx-7777 to the 1029
from the 1029 to the vic1 (vic set in other mode)

I don't have a 524 to put in the 1029 yet... but the vic does power up and work through this setup... I assume this is your basic flow also... But when you put a radio in the 1029 it does not power up?? Is that correct??

I would also assume that if the vic is going through the 7777 on it's own as well as the 1029... that true both would have access to power.. but I think that would preclude the vic getting the radio traffic....

Since I haven't added the radio yet, I'm curious on this issue and resolution... greatly anticipating that when the turds fall they ALWAYS land in my yard....

Terry

wsucougarx

I absolutely without a doubt recommend a MX-7777 to protect your gear. Here's my setup:

BATTERY------->MX-7777----------->AM-1780
............................I------------------>AM-1029
............................................................I--------->MT-1898
The MX-7777 has two separate power plugs. I use one outlet to power the AM-1780. The other is used to power my MT-1029. Then I use a jumper power cable from the MT-1029 to power up my MT-1898.

In my M35A2C I have an RT-246 going through my VIC-1 system as well as a R-442. I have 3 VIC-1 stations set up in the cab and 1 VIC-1 station in the bed for parades and rescue ops if needed.
My M109A3 has a RT-246 set up in the cab along with an R-442. Both of which are also going through the VIC-1 as well. I have 3 VIC-1 stations in the cab and 1 in the van at the HAM operators table. Inside the van itself I have an rt-524 and a R-442 that is going to be setup. Along with the green radios I'll have a commercially available multiband HAM radio.
I like the RT-246 because it allows you to have 10 preset stations that can be dialed in away from the radio (ie:while you're driving down the road). C-2742 allows you to change stations remotely

Last edited:

MASIC

I have tried everything mentioned so far. I can get the Vic and Radio going at the same time power wise but have no radio function through the VIC.

1. Does anyone have a MX-7777 for sale
2. Does anyone have any other ideas? I think I might have BUM component somewhere in the system.

JDToumanian

I think I might have BUM component somewhere in the system.
This is what I think it is. Have you got it to work yet? ....I'd try swapping out components, starting with the AM-1780. These have occasionally been found defective when taken brand new from a previously unopened box.

Jon

MASIC

This is what I think it is. Have you got it to work yet? ....I'd try swapping out components, starting with the AM-1780. These have occasionally been found defective when taken brand new from a previously unopened box.

Jon
I have not done this yet. do you know where I can find one

Seatyger

I am watchIng this thread! My son and I were drooling over the YouYube video of your truck and interior set up. I am as dumb as a bag of hammers when it comes to electronics (actually failed that part of the military entrance exam lol).

We were hoping to mirror your type of radio/intercom system so we could talk to each other in the cab as well as the rear of the truck.

Looking forward to learning more as you carry on with your quest!

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Masic I was wondering if you tested what we discussed in our phone conversation? If so what were the results? I have since studied this and have a couple of other things that could be causing your issues. PM me when you can,and if it requires further assessment we can talk thru it.
Thanks!!! popacom / BILL in KY.:jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks