• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would it be possible to swap 2.5 ton axles into an M923a1?

ColtRice17

Could I swap 2.5ton axles into my M923A1? my reason for asking is Air lockers. something I want to do with the truck requires it to have air lockers. So, can I install the 5 ton hubs and smindles etc onto the 2.5 ton axle housings? I would strengthen them up with Gussets etc. do you see any problems with this idea? would they even be strong enough?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
You could, but the easier approach would be to simply sell your current truck and buy a USMC M939 series truck equipped with lockers from the start.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
gussets, etc.
There is a lot more that goes into an axle's weight rating than the strength of the housing itself. A good example would be the difference in size between 2.5 ton hub bearings and 5 ton hub bearings. The difference is enormous-I don't know the relative sizes off the top of my head, but the 5 ton bearings have to be 20-25% larger.

The 5 ton brakes are significantly larger than the 2.5 tons, but I assume there is probably some way to get around that.

I think what patracy said is spot on.

sandcobra164

You could, but the easier approach would be to simply sell your current truck and buy a USMC M939 series truck equipped with lockers from the start.
Lockers are not guaranteed just because it is a USMC M939. Look on the dash or Driver's side door for the "No Spin" lockers dataplate. I've seen hundreds with and thousands without in storage on base. We're down to a small handful now but they're out there. In my experience, the M809 Series had a higher probability of having lockers.

ColtRice17

good to know. I will do some checking around. it was just something I was wondering about. I'm not hauling heavy loads so changing the load rating wouldn't be a major problem. I just want air lockers and locking front hubs :(

the puny kingpins and the small axle tubes are just gonna create a headache of problems. those little kingpins were never designed for anywhere near that weight especially with a stiff suspension as a 939 truck. and a few nasty holes at speed and the ends of the axletube will be bent upward. I've seen many of m35's used for hauling potatos and other farm stuff at low speeds in the fields and the axles look like they are smiling at you.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find some rockwells out of a old FWD concrete mixer they are heavier than 5 tons and have air over hydraulic lockers in them .

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks