• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Would you buy a surplus MLVW?

ton_ami69

Hi guys,

As the MLVW is slated to be replaced in the near future, would you like to get your hands on one? If not, why? I've heard/read good and bad things about them. Are they worth it, or is the US M35 better?

M135CDN

" A big steaming piece of Bombardier crap."

Reminicent of when the Iltis was first sent out to auction isn't it. They all ended up with a home. The old 50's pattern M135, nice trucks, the MLVW has an automatic tranny too doesn't?

Steamynachos

I have never seen one that wasn't all rusted out in the frame the Canadian military uses their trucks so long that there is not much left of them that is useful. you might find one in ok shape but it will need a lot of care and up keep latter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Re: RE: Would you buy a surplus MLVW?

kcimb said:
What's an MLVW? Mobil light volkswagen?
Canadian M35A2 equivelent, built by Bombardier, 80's vintage.
Try a google search, easy to find a picture.

MLVW Pics

OK OK I know enough said but I'm doing this for the Curious George SS members. Flog me if you will but I'm retired and I have broad shoulders so here goes
These pics are from a reserve unit where these vehicles get only up to 25% use as those of the regular force. Our museum M543 is about 12 years older ex reg force and has less rot than these. A few problems encountered. They are a lumbering beast that had the hubs all replaced a few years ago for defects (I don't have the real guff on this so correct me if possible). They did suffer from premature rusting and if you look closely many have bondo that has rerusted. A nice feature on one is you can see the right fender replacement just slapped on and some spray bomb to surrounding area. Some friends of mine who served in Cambodia with the UN in the 80s when these were fairly new had broken suspension/torsion bars (As told to me (rough roads) and had a hard time staying convoyed up with the faster Japanese ISUZUs. This was Canada's attempt to replace the 50s era deuces with a CDN made product. Contract was awarded to a company who had never built heavy trucks (we seem to contract this way alot. Award it to someone who's never done it before instead of buying a proven item off the shelf). Enjoy the pics and make your own decision. Unless your MLVW is a hanger queen used by the Airforce to change runway lights once or twice a year you are looking at heavy body work. Also about the Iltis, Yes they sold but not too many people in Canada will buy an MLWV for a Sunday drive as most Iltis owners I know do. OK you may fire when ready

Smith out

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: MLVW Pics

That's an interesting winch setup. What make/model is that?

The deuce looks, um, flaky. CARC chips and salsa, my favorite!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks