• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

would you drive on this?

Kohburn

I don't have much experience with tube type tires, won these on ebay for the cost of shipping but didn't expect to see so much dry rotting on the sidewalls.

I put a gauge on them and they are all aired up to ~45psi. I only removed the valve core from one to attempt a tire dismount.

8 goodyear SRL-1's and 2 Kumho power-lug's in 11r20

safe to use? or did I just throw away some money ($700 in shipping)

(and yes i brought them home from the delivery in that tiny trailer pushing its weight limit)

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I would see how they look when aired up. If that IS aired up, I'd use them as rears and be real nervous if they were on the front. Fronts are important, the rears are not as important. Especially if dualled.

Josh

Those look better then some of my tires. As long as the cuts arn't deep, I dont really see to much issue with them. I wouldn't max out on the weight though.

jdknech

those are not bad at all!! if you have to change rims, be VERY careful airing them up, i watched a ring come off one my dad was doing when i was 8, that's something i will NEVER forget... i would put those on the rear, and not think twice.. just my2cents

stumps

By the time the sidewall starts cracking like that, the cord could be compromised. It isn't meant to be exposed to the elements... I have run radial tires with small splits like that, and had them rip the side wall when I hit a pot hole. Also, if they are dry rotted around an area that was parked on the ground for a long time, the tread will often tear off.

Tubes let you get a way with worse weather checking than tubeless, but a sidewall split will put you out of business either way.

Off road I would run them until they disintegrated. On road I am a lot more cautious.

-Chuck

Last edited:

Varyag

I would use them as farm tires but not something that might go on a road and have you swirv into on coming traffic. Just my two cents. I am pretty careful about what I drive down the highway.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not use them on-road. Considering half the people in 2 pages said the same should say something as to whether use them.:rant:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks